Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello, my name is Elena. I'm from Russia. I'm student of Teacher Training University. I'm writing my diploma work. It is called "The concept of loneliness in Russian and English". I would like to ask English native-speakers, how do you understand the word "loneliness" and what associations do you have?
I'll be grateful for your help in my work:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
For me, it's a feeling of solitude, insufficient company or support (at work, for example)

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello, my name is Elena. I'm from Russia. I'm student of Teacher Training University. I'm writing my diploma work. It is called "The concept of loneliness in Russian and English". I would like to ask English native-speakers, how do you understand the word "loneliness" and what associations do you have?
I'll be grateful for your help in my work:)

In addition to Tdol's response (i.e. "at work"), 'and socially'.

kahraman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks! But do you mean to don't communicate and deal with people at all or don't have a twin soul in a plenty of mates and relatives ? And what images do you have in your mind, when you listen "loneliness". May be you see some colour , picture or song?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You don't have any/enough/the desired/the ideal company.

It has no colour, sound etc, to me- you could associate it with blue/grey/black, but they're the standard colours for negative emotions, but there's nothing particular to loneliness IMO.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You don't have any/enough/the desired/the ideal company.

It has no colour, sound etc, to me- you could associate it with blue/grey/black, but they're the standard colours for negative emotions, but there's nothing particular to loneliness IMO.

In the tv show The Big Bang Theory, one of the characters said that the color of lonliness should be orange, because nothing rhymes with it. I thought that was really funny.

The important thing to convey is one that English learners struggle with, based on the similarity of the words: Being alone doesn't make you lonely. And you can feel lonely when you are not physically alone.

kahraman

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The important thing to convey is one that English learners struggle with, based on the similarity of the words: Being alone doesn't make you lonely. And you can feel lonely when you are not physically alone.

Thank you so much, it was exactly what I wanted to learn

Status
Not open for further replies.