Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I want to know what does "You are entitled to your opinion, but not your own facts" mean?
thanks

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It means just what it says. That when debating a subject (politics is a great example), people can have differing opinions, and a well-functioning political system includes a sense of respect for those who have different opinions.

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

But people should not form opinions based on made up or fraudulent facts.

If the economy is poor, people may have differing opinions on the best way to improve it. But if one person argues that the "facts" say the economy is fine while another says it is hurting, then only one person is truly operating with the "facts."

Hence, during an argument about the economy, say when some new economic numbers are released, one side may say to the other that they are entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, English70:

Soothing Dave has just given us an excellent explanation.

I thought that you would be interested in this famous quotation:

"Comment [opinions] is free, but facts are sacred [treated with great respect]."

That was said by Mr. C.P. Scott, the famous editor of the Manchester Guardian newspaper in England. (It is now

called simply The Guardian; some people feel that it now has more opinions than facts.)

Many journalists say that they try their best to follow Mr. Scott's advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.