When to use RATHER THAN + V and RATHER THAN + V-ing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoangkha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello, teachers!
When to use RATHER THAN + V and RATHER THAN + V-ing, please?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hello, teachers!
When to use RATHER THAN + V and RATHER THAN + V-ing, please?

Write some sentences showing how you think they should be used.

hoangkha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Write some sentences showing how you think they should be used.
I have seen these sentences.
- Rather than criticizing your husband, why not find out if there's something wrong?
rather - definition of rather by Macmillan Dictionary

- Why didn't you ask for help, rather than trying to do it on your own?
rather - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com

- Rather than go straight on to university why not get some work experience first?
rather - Definition from Longman English Dictionary Online

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
RATHER THAN + V and RATHER THAN + V-ing

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, hoangkha:
Your question is too difficult for me to answer, but I do have a few points to share.

1. I read a lot of newspapers (online) and magazines, so I think that I am correct in saying that native speakers (writers)

do not always agree on which form to use. In fact, probably some make their decision on what sounds good. Of course,

you are a learner, so you want a rule.

2. I do not think that there is one rule. There are general rules, but they have many exceptions. And the rules often give

you a choice. As a learner, you do not want a choice. You simply want some rule to tell you what is correct English. Am

I right?

3. One good reference gives this "secret": If you are speaking / writing English, and you are confused as to which form of the

verb to use, just use "instead of" + gerund. In most cases, people will accept your sentence as "correct."

4. Also -- I think -- many native speakers will not care which form you use, for they themselves really do not know which

form is "correct"!

A few years ago, I found a very short article. If you read it many, many times, you will start to get an idea of how

confusing this matter is. I still do not understand the article completely.

a. Please go to Google.

b. Type in these words:

rather than bare infinitive gerund

c. When the page of results comes up, look at the words at the top of the page. Click on "MORE."

d. Then a list of choices will appear. Click on "BOOKS."

e. The first result will say "The American Heritage Book of English Usage." Click it on, and you will be taken to page 56 that

has a VERY short article on "rather than." I think that you will find it very helpful -- but not too easy. This is NOT an easy

subject.

James

Status
Not open for further replies.