[Vocabulary] Does this sound natural? I found myself being pushed to the cage and someone told me

Status
Not open for further replies.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

Does this sentence sound natural?

I found myself being pushed to the cage and someone told me to get out whatever expensive I had.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It means nothing to me.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"I found myself being (pushed towards/pushed into) the cage when someone told me to get out at any expense."

The editing I made here sounds a bit more natural (in my opinion), while trying to remain true to your original sentence. Depending on the larger context of what you wish to say, you may need to edit it further. Is this sentence representing something figurative or did this event actually take place?

Hope this helps!

Best,

In Perfect English

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I mean I was watching a monkey in a cage when someone pushed me towards it and told me to get any expensive thing I have out of my pocket. I got mugged.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I found myself being pushed up against the cage and ​someone told me to hand over my valuables.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Saloom, it really would make life a lot easier for all of us if you provided full context when you came up with these sentences.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, this does change the meaning of the sentence completely! The sentence that I came up with has a very different meaning.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, this does change the meaning of the sentence completely! The sentence that I came up with has a very different meaning.
I was impressed at what you managed, given the very limited context we had. I thought you were probably right - until saloom provided some information that was vital if we were to give a more satisfactory response.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I mean I was watching a monkey in a cage when someone pushed me towards it and told me to get any expensive thing I have out of my pocket. I got mugged.
Don't you hate it when that happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.