Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I want to make a name for the bin which is used for putting the wet plastic bag of an umbrella after it has been used during a rainy day for recycling purpose. The shop owner normally put that bin outside the shop so the customer can leave the wet umbrella plastic bag into the bin before going inside the shop.

1 . May I know how to name this bin?

2. Can I say : 'recyle bin for used umbrella cover'

3. Shall I use recyled or recyle?

4. Any other good suggestion for the name of the bin?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I want to make a name for the bin which is used for putting the wet plastic bag of an umbrella after it has been used during a rainy day for recycling purpose. The shop owner normally put that bin outside the shop so the customer can leave the wet umbrella plastic bag into the bin before going inside the shop.

1 . May I know how to name this bin?

2. Can I say : 'recyle bin for used umbrella cover'

3. Shall I use recyled or recyle?

4. Any other good suggestion for the name of the bin?

I have never heard of a used umbrella cover.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A store might provide plastic bags for putting your umbrella in when you enter the store. That way it doesn't drip all over the store's floor while you shop. In that case, you would need a place to put the bag when you left the store and resumed using your umbrella. That could be a recycle bin.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the UK, I have never entered a shop and been offered a plastic bag to carry my dripping umbrella in. Some shops (not many) have an umbrella stand just inside the door where you can leave your wet umbrella while you shop, then collect it as you leave. Most places simply put up with the wet floors caused by dripping umbrellas.

If I saw such a system and the associated receptacle, I would probably refer to it as a "Recycle bin for umbrella bags".

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most places simply put up with the wet floors caused by dripping umbrellas.

If someone slips and falls in a Walmart with a wet floor, they'll sue.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We're not quite as litigious yet in the UK, though with the number of adverts for companies helping you claim compensation for "accidents which aren't your fault", I think we're heading that way.
I probably shouldn't have said that they put up with the wet floors - more that they put up with the consequences of dripping umbrellas, which is that large store have to have staff and cleaners on hand constantly mopping up the worst of the water from the floor.
I work part-time in a small local shop and by the end of a rainy day, our wooden floor is very wet and very dirty from the wet shoes, wet pushchair wheels and dripping umbrellas that come through. We mop the floor at the end of the day and not before. Touch wood, in the time that I've worked there, no-one has slipped.

Status
Not open for further replies.