Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hi all,

I am listening today an article in The New York Times which talks about the health care bill in the USA, but one thing seems to me a a bit strange. Miss. Pelosi say in her speech that people who pursue them have win. Nonetheless, is it not better to use the word 'follow' in this case than the word pursue.

In my mind pursue is more for a person who wants to kill an animal for example, do you agree with me?

Thanks for your replies.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi all,

I am listening today an article in The New York Times which talks about the health care bill in the USA, but one thing seems to me a a bit strange. Miss. Pelosi say in her speech that people who pursue them have win. Nonetheless, is it not better to use the word 'follow' in this case than the word pursue.

In my mind pursue is more for a person who wants to kill an animal for example, do you agree with me?

Thanks for your replies.

What you have in mind is one use out of several other common uses such as:
§ To follow: Her rival pursued a quite different course.
§ To aim for, go after; As a leader he is determined to pursue peace with Palestinians.
We are to pursue peace and holiness for all.
§ Be involved in : When she was young, she pursued many activities

IHIVG

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies.

'Pursue' has more meanings than the one you presented. It's not just chasing an animal in order to kill. When speaking metaphorically, it's often used in reference to the goals, that is to strive hard to attain something.
He is remorseless in pursuing his goals.
She wants to be recognized worldwide; she pursues fame actively.

You can follow the person, that is to go behind him; follow the rules (to obey them); follow someone's example, that is to take it as a good template, etc.
I think when you really want something and actually do a lot to achieve it, 'pursue' is a better word.

Status
Not open for further replies.