Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of "124 tip" in:

{why not try piping a rose on top of your cake. [FONT=&quot]All you need to use is a 124 tip and fill your piping bag with whatever colour you like.[/FONT]Why not try piping a rose on top of our cake. [FONT=&quot]All you need to use is a 124 tip and fill your piping bag with whatever colour you like.[/FONT]}

That was said by a chef.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
may be she means "a tip with 4 holes"? Since she needs to pipe a rose?! I really don't know if she was counting "skipping number 3" or there is a tool called "124 tip"!

Thanks a lot.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yeah, and if piping roses were that easy, anyone could do it. Roses are harder than they look. On the other hand, the basket weave is easier than it looks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Calll it a 124 tip.

If you look around on the Web site 5jj posted, you'll see there are more cake decorating tips than you would have ever dreamed of.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Yeah, and if piping roses were that easy, anyone could do it. Roses are harder than they look. On the other hand, the basket weave is easier than it looks.

You're cake decorator? My mother is and I still haven't recovered from having to take one on a train with particularly delicate stamen to London many years ago. :-D

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Calll it a 124 tip.

If you look around on the Web site 5jj posted, you'll see there are more cake decorating tips than you would have ever dreamed of.

The problem is in Arabic, we need to define exactly what is 124? Is it a number?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The problem is in Arabic, we need to define exactly what is 124? Is it a number?
It is clearly a number. It is presumably their product No. 124 in the Wilton range. It is being used as a label.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes it's a number. Each number defines the shape of the tip and the size. A 1 tip is a very small round hole for lines. A 5 tip is also round but a bit larger.

No, I'm no decorator, but I took a course in it once and actually loved it in theory. In practice I was not very good at making things of a consistent size. I guess that comes with practice. In my garage I still have a tackle box full of those tips.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
one more question, please. Can we say anything instead of a number? Like what really distinguish it? A medium hole or something like that. I have already written number "124" but to the Arabic viewer, I guess, that would be of no use at all. So If you can help in that?

I really appreciate your effort.
Thanks a lot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
one more question, please. Can we say anything instead of a number? Like what really distinguish it? A medium hole or something like that. I have already written number "124" but to the Arabic viewer, I guess, that would be of no use at all. So If you can help in that?

I really appreciate your effort.
Thanks a lot.

What would you do in Arabic with any piece of equipment that has a brand name and then a number to differentiate it from another piece of equipment?

Let's say your car has a small engine part made by Ferrari, and it's called a "Ferrari Stanza 24". If you were writing something in Arabic and you needed to say "My car has broken down and I am looking for a Ferrari Stanza 24" what would you write? The same applies to needing a "Wilson's 124 Tip" for cake decorating.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Well, I got this. And I'm trying to describe it instead of using a number. It seems a bit difficult :roll:

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
What would you do in Arabic with any piece of equipment that has a brand name and then a number to differentiate it from another piece of equipment?

Let's say your car has a small engine part made by Ferrari, and it's called a "Ferrari Stanza 24". If you were writing something in Arabic and you needed to say "My car has broken down and I am looking for a Ferrari Stanza 24" what would you write? The same applies to needing a "Wilson's 124 Tip" for cake decorating.

Great example. Thanks. I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.