Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Which of the folowing is more common?
1) I hope you'll get well soon.
2) I hope you get well soon.

I remember reading somewhere that 2) is more common. If that's true, I would like to know the reason why.

Preceptor

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The second sentence is more common because it is an approximation of sloppy speech. The technically correct statement is, 'I hope you will be well soon.' The verb 'get' is an American catchall used as a substitute for numerous other verbs. In that you are hoping the person will be well in the near future, the verb must be in the future tense. Hence, 'I hope you'll get well soon' is the correct version of the sentence.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
. In that you are hoping the person will be well in the near future, the verb must be in the future tense. Hence, 'I hope you'll get well soon' is the correct version of the sentence.
This is not correct, because
1. There is no future tense in English; there are merely several ways of expressing the future;
2. The use of the present simple after 'hope' is natural and correct; the use of the modal will is also possible, but it is not 'more correct'.

So, 'I hope you get well soon' is fine. 'I hope you will be well soon' is also fine, but it is not more 'technically correct'.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like to know the reason why.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) I also would like to know.

(2) I have checked my books, and none of them had "the" answer.

(3) My books tell me that we have this choice:

(a) I hope (that) you may get well soon. (modal)

(b) I hope (that) you will get well soon. (for the sake of simplicity, many books refer to this as the future tense)

(c) I hope (that) you get well soon. (present tense)

(4) My books tell me that 3a is the most formal. Of course, I do not know, but probably few native speakers in 2011 speak/write this version. But it is rather elegant, isn't it!

3b is certainly correct.

3c is, as the other posters have said, probably the most common. Why? Well, as

one poster suggested, people speak fast. Why say "I hope that you will get well

soon" when you can simply say "I hope you get well soon"?

(5) When you speak English with native speakers, you might consider using 3c. If

you use 3a your listener will find it rather unusual; if you use 3b, your listener may

consider it a bit formal since most (?) native speakers are accustomed to hearing

3c. When you speak English, you want your listener to pay attention to your ideas;

you do NOT want your listener to be distracted by your grammar. For example,

"correct" grammar is "It is I," but since most (almost all?) native speakers nowadays

say "It is me," if you say "I," your listener may stop paying attention to your ideas and

start paying more attention to your grammar. (In fact, nowadays many native

speakers now think "It is I" is wrong!)

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Which of the folowing is more common?
1) I hope you'll get well soon.
2) I hope you get well soon.

I remember reading somewhere that 2) is more common. If that's true, I would like to know the reason why.

I think people may use the second as it makes the recovery sound closer.

I'd also like to say that there's nothing at all wrong with the second. We commonly use present forms to talk about the future- there's no obligation to use will for everything in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.