Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear Teachers,

I am writing a small description about a company for web. I've come across many times with this structure "the company is specializing", not "specializes". So, my first question is why present continuous and not present indefinite/simple is used. And the second one - can I write like this
"Since 1999, the company is specializing in...." (I do not want to use present perfect here because the company still specializes and will specialize...)

or better to write "Founded in 1999, the company is specializing in..."

Thank you!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've come across many times with this structure "the company is specializing", not "specializes". So, my first question is why present continuous and not present indefinite/simple is used.
The present simple is more natural.
And the second one - can I write like this: "Since 1999, the company is specializing in...." (I do not want to use present perfect here because the company still specializes and will specialize...)

or better to write "Founded in 1999, the company is specializing in..."
The present perfect is the natural choice here. It indicates that the company started specializing in the past, and still does so.

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
The present simple is more natural. The present perfect is the natural choice here. It indicates that the company started specializing in the past, and still does so.

Other than the present perfect, is it natural to use the present perfect continuous tense in the above context?

Since 1999, the company has been specializing in...

Status
Not open for further replies.