Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Dear Sir,

I would like to know whether the following sentences are acceptable or correct in usage. I am wondering whether I can insert "out" after "trace" to mean "discover by searching or researching evidence". How about the second sentence? Is there anything wrong? If there are unacceptable, please re-construct them.

1. Mr. Chong expressed the need for a work order number in order to trace out the lead to the requestor.

2. It looks as if the work order number could be traceable in the e-mails.

Thank you.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Sir,

I would like to know whether the following sentences are acceptable or correct in usage. I am wondering whether I can insert "out" after "trace" to mean "discover by searching or researching evidence". How about the second sentence? Is there anything wrong? If there are unacceptable, please re-construct them.

1. Mr. Chong expressed the need for a work order number in order to trace out the lead to the requestor. "Out" is not necessary nor usual in your example.

2. It looks as if the work order number could be traceable in the e-mails. OK.

Thank you.

b.

Green Bean

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Dear teacher,

On checking the dictionary, the words "trace out" means to outline or sketch (an idea, policy etc). You mentioned that the word "out" is not necessary. If it is included, is my sentence still not considered as wrong? Also, does it make any difference between "done at a go" and "done at one go"? Thanks.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Welcome to Using English.