Hit a brick wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

lohang

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,

I am in the middle of competing checkpoint 3 of i-to-i's 100 hour online course which I am now in a bit of a rush to finish.

This checkpoint question amongst one or two others seem to be holding me up and I want to get a second opinion.

Q. When he arrived at the station, the train had left.

A. Assuming a situation had been explained to the class;

Did he walk to the station?
Was he late?
Was the train early?

Comment: We don't know whether he walked or drove. The second question is good.

This is the concept for an action in the past preceding another action in the past. You need to establish that the train left before the man arrived at the station (indicated by the past perfect tense) and that he was unable to take the train. Please write at least 3 relevant questions.

This is my second attempt so next attempt has got to be right, as I mentioned there are some others but I should now be able to sort these out.

Ant thoughts, I am getting the feeling at the minute the marker is been pedantic but comments/assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your question is a bit confusing to me, but I'll give it a shot....

"Did he walk to the station?" really isn't relevant in this situation. If the train had already departed by the time he'd arrived at the station we can only presume that either he arrived late or that he arrived on time but the train left early.

As for three relevant questions, are you looking for questions relating to why he might have missed the train? Or reasons why the train left early?

For example, I guess you could ask:
Should he have left for the station much earlier than the scheduled departure time, allowing for such delays as traffic congestion?

Can he either catch a later train?

If he decides to use another mode of transportaion can he be reimbursed for the ticket he was unable to use?

I don't know if I've answered your question properly because, as I mentioned, it wasn't really phrased very clearly. But I do want to mention that I visited Skipton once many years ago while visiting the UK - toured the castle, stayed in a B&B that was only a few yards away from the railroad tracks (that's a story in itself). :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.