Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello everyone, I am Dan White from Edmonton. I am a post graduate in Economics. I want to learn writing and speaking correct and fluent English. But I am facing many problems in my efforts. I have some good Grammar books but I think personal assistant would be much better for me. I am new to this online community and I hope the members will support me regarding my queries. My problem is with article The. I am getting confused in using article The. I want to learn where to use The and where not to use The. Will you please suggest me the correct use of article 'The'. I am waiting for your replies.
Thanks
Dan White Edmonton

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone, I am Dan White from Edmonton. I am a post graduate in Economics. I want to learn writing and speaking correct and fluent English. But I am facing many problems in my efforts. I have some good Grammar books but I think personal assistant would be much better for me. I am new to this online community and I hope the members will support me regarding my queries. My problem is with article The. I am getting confused in using article The. I want to learn where to use The and where not to use The. Will you please suggest me the correct use of article 'The'. I am waiting for your replies.
Thanks
Dan White Edmonton

Welcome to the forum.

Your member profile shows your native language as English. Are you sure that is correct? Is English the language you learnt first, as a child. Is it the language you speak better than any other.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's a huge and complex area- it's the most used word in English, and its usage covers many aspects. To narrow things down, could you give some examples where you're not sure whether to use the article or not?

dan2014

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello all, thanks for quick responses. I am giving some examples here:

1- He is pursuing M.B.A from (the) University of California.
2- I began my career in (the) education field.
3- What are (the) benefits of this product?
4- Why do you want to go to (the) market?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
1 Universities- we say Oxford University, but the University of Oxford.
2 It's a specific field, so use the.
3 Again, these are specific benefits- the ones belonging to a known product, so use the.
4 Here, it's the one near your house, etc, so use the.

dan2014

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello Tdol sir, thanks for your reply. You have told me some nice tips to use article 'The'. You have told me regrding specific things but if there are unspecific things then where I should use The and where not?
Thanks
Dan White, Edmonton

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Emsr2d2 asked about your native language in post #2, dan. We'd appreciate a response. If we know a member's native language, we can sometimes give better advice when we answer questions.

dan2014

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello sir, I was born in France and I learned French in my childhood days but my parents came to Canada regarding livelihood purpose and I was 15 at that time. Now you can easily understand why I am facing difficulties in English. and sorry for mentioning English there in profile. Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that case, your native language is French. Please amend your profile accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.