Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Does this "apparent" mean "obvious" or "seeming"? I think it's "seeming". Does the meaning vary depending on context when "apparent" is a modifier before a noun?

st177
ex) Some runners come to realize their creative potential while running. This is when running becomes art...Then, running, unlike any other activity, becomes a means toward solving problems and curing depression...This usually occurs only when the runner is relaxed and doesn't carry any great expectations into the run. The apparent magic that running sometimes provides occurs almost inevitably as a surprise.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
When used directly before a noun, 'apparent' rarely means 'obvious'.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks a lot! Considering the whole context, the meaning seems "seeming= from what I've heard or seen", but the translation goes "obvious". This question's workbook was written as a preparation material for university entrance exam, and the part was translated by Korean English professors or experts, but I feel the limitation of their translation. That's why I always depend on native speakers or great teachers like you.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Considering the whole context, the meaning seems "seeming= from what I've heard or seen", but the translation goes "obvious".

In this context I don't think "apparent" means "seeming" in that sense.
It's more that the beneficial effects of running seem to be a kind of magic, they have the appearance of magic.
So here "apparent" means something like "ostensible", "by outward appearances".

Some examples of "apparent" meaning "obvious":
"She changed her mind about going to the dance, for no apparent reason".
"The police said there was no apparent cause of death".

not a teacher

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.