Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,

1. What's the name for a restaurant where you can go to the serving area and choose your favourite food and drink from different dishes at a fixed price? (I suppose "canteen" is a place with the same quality, except that it's limited to factories, colleges, etc., if I'm not wrong)

2. What's the name for this kind of serving guests at a party?

3. Has the word "a la carte" the same usage? Many thanks in advance.

(especially in BrE, plz)

Last edited:

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi all,

1. What's the name for a restaurant where you can go to the serving area and choose your favourite food and drink from different dishes at a fixed price? (I suppose "canteen" is a place with the same quality, except that it's limited to factories, colleges, etc., if I'm not wrong)

2. What's the name for this kind of serving guests at a party?

3. Has the word "a la carte" the same usage? Many thanks in advance.

(especially in BrE, plz)

The type of meal where you choose your own food and eat all you can at a fixed price is called a buffet meal. It is also called smorgasbord in some places.

not a teacher

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
The type of meal where you choose your own food and eat all you can at a fixed price is called a buffet meal. It is also called smorgasbord in some places.

not a teacher

Thanks...And, how about "a la carte"?

So, what could be the name for a restaurant serving buffet meal?

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
A la carte are meals you order from a menu.
There is no special name for a restaurant which offers buffet meals. Anyway, most restaurants do no offer buffet meals alone.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: One last thing that tedmc hasn't covered:
Hi all,

You're right about 'canteen'. That sort of restaurant is either a cafeteria (maybe rather dated) or just a 'self-service restaurant'. The stress is on the second 'e': /kæfǝ'ti:rɪǝ/.

The sort of restaurant where you pay a fixed rate and serve yourself is sometimes - rather lazily ;-) - called an 'all-you-can-eat [restaurant]'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.