Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[FONT=&#23435]"The manager just told me to say anything that I could think about the city."Someone holds we should add of before about.But I think the original is correct with that clause as an appositive clause of "anything."Am I right?Thank you![/FONT]

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[FONT=&#23435]"The manager just told me to say anything that I could think about the city."Someone holds we should add of before about.But I think the original is correct with that clause as an appositive clause of "anything."Am I right?Thank you![/FONT]

The "of" needs to be there. There is not appositive here. If there were, you could take one or the other of the two things in apposition out and the sentence would still work. There is no duplication here. "That I could think of" limits "anything" and works as an adjective clause.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The "of" needs to be there. There is not appositive here. If there were, you could take one or the other of the two things in apposition out and the sentence would still work. There is no duplication here. "That I could think of" limits "anything" and works as an adjective clause.
In my opinion , about is equal to of.The whole that clause is in appositon to anything.Why is such an explanation not right?Thanks!

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
...think of about the city... It all needs to be there.

I still see no appositive.

I can "tell you what I think about the city". I suppose I can even tell you "anything I think about the city", but it makes for a strange sentence.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
...think of about the city... It all needs to be there.

I still see no appositive.

I can "tell you what I think about the city". I suppose I can even tell you "anything I think about the city", but it makes for a strange sentence.
Your ideas made me see something.Grammatically tell anything that I think about the city is correct,but semantically it is not good.
Thank you a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.