Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

I'm looking for a right word to use in a sentence, a word describing an incompetent person who messes up everything they touch. The sentence is:

"Hopefully even a XXX such as yourself can do that!"

What would be the best (non-vulgar) word to use in this context, to sound natural to a native speaker? Gawk, muff, oaf...? Being a non-native speaker I'm not sure which one to pick :) Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Klutz" is a fairly commonly-used word. It comes from Yiddish and means "a clumsy person". Of course, in this day and age of political correctness, you might want to avoid a word which comes from a culture not your own in case someone thinks you are making fun of it.

I can't think of a standard BrE word which suggests a clumsy or incompetent person. I certainly wouldn't use gawk or muff. "Oaf" is close.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
I looked up 'clumsy' in the online OALD and found 'clodhopper' as a word to describe an awkward or clumsy person, but I have to say that in nearly 17 years in the UK I have never heard anybody using this word.

If I were to address a British person I might say: "Hopefully even a Frank Spencer such as yourself can do that!" (Google "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em" for an explanation.)

TomUK

SlickVic9000

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a Teacher)

Moron, doofus, butterfingers, klutz, lug, and oaf are all fine. I'm a little partial to "clumsy oaf" myself.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most people of a certain age in the UK would understand "plonker" in this context - as in "You plonker, Rodney", from the TV comedy "Only Fools and Horses".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Most people of a certain age in the UK would understand "plonker" in this context - as in "You plonker, Rodney", from the TV comedy "Only Fools and Horses".

It's a great word but it doesn't suggest clumsiness, in my opinion.

Clodhopper is a fantastic word but it isn't seen frequently. It's the name of a children's shoe shop where I ilve!

Butterfingers is perfect as an exclamation but I'm not sure I would describe someone as "a butterfingers". It's normally something you say after someone drops something and damages/breaks it. We would just say "Butterfingers!" after witnessing such an accident.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK

I never thought it would happen to me, but it seems I am now also a member of the 'people of a certain age' group. Apart from 'plonker' I had also considered 'pillock' and some other more offensive words, but I felt that none of them really said in one word what the OP wanted to express.

TomUK

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,

I'm looking for a right word to use in a sentence, a word describing an incompetent person who messes up everything they touch. The sentence is:

"Hopefully even a XXX such as yourself can do that!"

What would be the best (non-vulgar) word to use in this context, to sound natural to a native speaker? Gawk, muff, oaf...? Being a non-native speaker I'm not sure which one to pick :) Thanks!

Another Yiddish word that would fit is "schlemiel".

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
screwup could also be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.