Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was not able to walk. Fortunately, my electric wheelchair gave me lots of freedom.However, as I became older, I realized I couldn’t be too dependent on my electric wheelchair.
My high schoolgraduation was only one month away, and I was determined to roll across the graduation stage in my manual wheelchair instead of the electric one. In order to practice, I began using my manual wheelchair daily at school.
During the first several days, everyone offered to give me a push from class to class, but after a few times of my refusing, everyone got the hint and let me push myself round the school.
I had always received great 1 from using my manual wheelchair, but when I began to push myself around the school, the personal rewards were far greater than I ever imagined. I not only saw myself differently, but my classmates, too, seemed to view me on a different level.
To me, it was a symbolic point in my life to graduate from high school in my manual wheelchair. I didn’t care if it took me 20 minutes to push across the stage. I wanted to enter my future as an independent young man.
That day, when the announcer called my name, I realized that everything I had struggled for as a child was now a reality. The independent life that I had worked so hard for was now within my grasp.
I pushed myself ever so 2 toward the front of the stage. I looked up from my concentration on pushing my wheelchair and realized that everyone on the stage was standing to clap. I proudly accepted my diploma, and cried asloud as I could, “I did it!”
1. A.satisfaction
From what context can we draw the conclusion that the author received “satisfaction” from using his manual wheelchair?
2. A.slowly
This is a big moment for the writer. Since he has been making good preparations, how could he roll so “slowly”? I thought “calmly, steadily, quickly” would be a better word?
3. I thought usually people under the stage would deliberately stand to clap. People on the stage usually stand. Aren’t “on the stage”redundant or wrong?

Thanks for your help!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

1. A.satisfaction
From what context can we draw the conclusion that the author received “satisfaction” from using his manual wheelchair?

"However, as I became older, I realized I couldn’t be too dependent on my electric wheelchair. ... I was determined to roll across the graduation stage in my manual wheelchair instead of the electric one. In order to practice, I began using my manual wheelchair daily at school."

2. A.slowly

This is a big moment for the writer. Since he has been making good preparations, how could he roll so “slowly”? I thought “calmly, steadily, quickly” would be a better word?

Even 'slowly' was a great achievement.

3. I thought usually people under the stage would deliberately stand to clap.
They'd bump their heads if they did.

People on the stage usually stand. Aren’t “on the stage”redundant or wrong?
At a graduation ceremony, there are often people sitting on chairs on the stage.

jasonlulu_2000

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your wonderful reply.

By the way, how to describe the location of the audience if I cannot use "under the stage"?

Thanks again.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Status