Perfect Tense for learners'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lex90210

Member Type
English Teacher
I am currently writing an assignment on the learners' I have in my class. My students have a problem with the Perfect Tense e.g. 'I lived in the uk since ten years' instead of 'I have lived'. I recognise that for some they have directly translated this from there language such as spanish as they would say it in this way, but most of my learners' are from Pakistan and India. Does anyone know if the Perfect Tense exists in these languages or whether they are directly translating to make this mistake. I need to provide evidence from their backgroounds that make the Perfect Tense a hard thing for the to grasp.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am currently writing an assignment on the learners' I have in my class. My students have a problem with the Perfect Tense e.g. 'I lived in the uk since ten years' instead of 'I have lived'. I recognise that for some they have directly translated this from there language such as spanish as they would say it in this way, but most of my learners' are from Pakistan and India. Does anyone know if the Perfect Tense exists in these languages or whether they are directly translating to make this mistake. I need to provide evidence from their backgroounds that make the Perfect Tense a hard thing for the to grasp.
I know that Hindi and Urdu have present and past perfect tenses, but these are only two of hundreds of languages in India and Pakistan.

There are lots of web hits for "'Present perfect' Hindi"
StateMaster - Encyclopedia: Hindi grammar

If you don't get a useful reply, maybe you could post in the "Other Languages" forum, and put "Indian languages" in the title.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don't know anything about what you're asking so I can't answer.

I'm writing because your post confuses me a lot. Do you say it's correct to say "I have lived in the UK since ten years"? Shouldn't it be "for"?

Also, why do you write "learners'" with an apostrophe at the end of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.