Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
United States
I have been having trouble getting "deep" into a text. When I read, I just read. So I simply pick a text and try to analyze it. I couldn't.

You have hitherto been a spoilt child, and have been used to have your own way a good deal, both in the house and among your playfellows, with whom you were too fond of being a leader; but you have good nature and good sense, and will get the better of this in time. You have now got among other boys who are you equals, or bigger and stronger than yourself, and who have something else to attend to besides humouring your whims and fancies, and you feel this as a repulse or piece of injustice. But the first lesson to learn is that there are other people in the world besides yourself. The more airs of childish self-importance you give yourself, you will only expose yourself to be the more thwarted and laughed at. True equality is the only true morality or true wisdom. Remember always that you are but one among others, and you can hardly mistake your place in society. In your father's house, you might do as you pleased; in the world you will find competitors at every turn. You are not born a king's son, to destroy or dictate to millions; you can only expect to share their fate, or settle your differences amicably with them. You already find it so at school, and I wish you to be reconciled to your situation as soon and with as little pain as you can.

How should one analyze the text above? i know i should judge it in terms of style(tone, formality, sentence structure, etc,etc) and register( roles, word choice, etc,etc). As I said, when I read, I just read. I don't really know how to determine all that

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Analysing a text is also not simply a matter of applying a few tests to it- I think responding to it is a good start- does it interest you, does it have any impact, etc, then start to look at the whys and wherefores.

magimagicE

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
That sample text makes for a great read - it really ebbs and flows.

It reminds me of Kipling's "If", and Stephen Fry's letter to his 16-year-old self, "Dearest absurd child".

Status
Not open for further replies.