Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
If somebody says to me, "How are you?", my answer is usually, "Fine, thank you, and you?"

Is it natural to say, "Very good." instead of "Fine" in usual conversation?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If somebody says to me, "How are you?", my answer is usually, "Fine, thank you, and you?"

Colloquially, a lot of people say "Good, thanks" as a reply to "How are you?" But technically it's not really right, because "I am good" is not a description of your health. "I am good" on its own means that you are a good person (not evil!). "I am good at...." would mean that you are skilled in a certain area.

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
If somebody says to me, "How are you?", my answer is usually, "Fine, thank you, and you?" That's a common and good answer. (actually 'fine thanks, and you?')

It's not very common to hear "very good" as an answer, but there is nothing wrong or unnatural about it. If you want to stress that you are better than just fine, you can say "very good.....".

"How are you?" and "I am good." do not usually refer to your health. But if the person asking "How are you?" knows that you are or were sick, they could be mostly inquiring about your health.

Also "I am good.", in this context, does not mean I am a good person.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.