Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I was told of the difference between experience and experiences.
According to what I was told, experiences means a story of experience, and what I wonder is if experience itself does not mean a story of experience or not.

Confused so would you make it clear?

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
According to what I was told, experiences means a story of experience, and what I wonder is if experience itself does not mean a story of experience or not.

Confused so would you make it clear? OK, I would.
Firstly, I am not a teacher but I will tell you the fact that according to my knowledge.

experience means: "(the process of getting) knowledge or skill from doing, seeing or feeling things".
experiences is the plural of the word experience which I gave you its meaning above.

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France

Confused so would you make it clear?

*Not a teacher

I would say there is no fixed difference between experience and experiences, so it may depend on the context. Here are two:

For instance, "In my experience". It means the experience of my whole life, so there were a plethora of experiences or few ones according to your age.

In "I've got some experiences in teaching kids", the meaning would tend to specify the kind of experiences you have got. Eg you taught in some schools and/or in some countries and/or with some different methods...

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
*Not a teacher

I would say there is no fixed difference between experience and experiences, so it may depend on the context. Here are two:

For instance, "In my experience". It means the experience of my whole life, so there were a plethora of experiences or few ones according to your age.

In "I've got some experiences in teaching kids", the meaning would tend to specify the kind of experiences you have got. Eg you taught in some schools and/or in some countries and/or with some different methods...

You wouldn't say "I've got some experiences in teaching kids", you could say "I have experience of teaching kids" to say that you have done it before.
You could say "I have had some experiences teaching kids" to say that while you were teaching some interesting or unusual things happened.

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
You wouldn't say "I've got some experiences in teaching kids", you could say "I have experience of teaching kids" to say that you have done it before.
You could say "I have had some experiences teaching kids" to say that while you were teaching some interesting or unusual things happened.

Thank you, B. I should have put the kettle on earlier, drink my tea and then I could have been fully operational. :)

paris 06

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

I come up with a question about your description.

Is "some experiences teaching kids" replaceable with "experiences about teaching kids" and I am not sure about the structure of "some experiences teaching kids" because I just feel the need to put "about " ahead of teaching to make sense.

Without "about" between experience and teaching kids", does it make sense and how that is different in meaning from "experience of teaching kids"?

Would you make it clear for better understanding on my part?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I come up with a question about your description.

Is "some experiences teaching kids" replaceable with "experiences about teaching kids" and I am not sure about the structure of "some experiences teaching kids" because I just feel the need to put "about " ahead of teaching to make sense.

Without "about" between experience and teaching kids", does it make sense and how that is different in meaning from "experience of teaching kids"?

Would you make it clear for better understanding on my part?

Try this: "...some experiences while teaching kids."

Status
Not open for further replies.