[Grammar] Edit This Short Paragraph

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossoflife

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have an inquisitive mind since young as things around me always intrigue me. When I had to decide on my field of study, science was an obvious choice and a natural fit for me. I believe the outcome of my education equips me well for a further education in sociology and please consider my application.

Please help me in editing the paragraph, the grammar, re-phasing if any and also I have to keep it under 50 words. :-(
Thanks, my friend! ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In 50 words, you have to cut stuff out about your childhood- that sounds like stuff for a motivation letter. What I am not sure about is why you are moving from science to sociology if you are so keen on science. What's your reason for that?

crossoflife

Member Type
Student or Learner
In 50 words, you have to cut stuff out about your childhood- that sounds like stuff for a motivation letter. What I am not sure about is why you are moving from science to sociology if you are so keen on science. What's your reason for that?

I see. I was thinking that being curious could be a plus point for reading sociology so I added it in. The science I studied is considered hard science and sociology is considered soft science. Hence, all I did was switching from one branch or science to the other. :-D
Also, I am also concerned by the job prospects and the type of work I will be going into the future with my current qualification hence I decided to take up sociology instead. :oops:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
OK but you have 50 words to convince your reader that's there's a good reason to make this change. Your background in science will help because you can apply many of the principles to sociology, but you have to give them a convincing reason. You have to sell the change to the reader and the reasons you gave (being easy and job prospects) won't work. Imagine you're the person receiving this- someone who has presumably dedicated their lives to studying sociology- you've got to tell them what you will bring to the course- an analytical scientific mind and curiosity are fine, but you need the second half.

Here's the question running through the person's mind- should I give them a place and why? You have to give them a reason. And that has to come from you.

crossoflife

Member Type
Student or Learner
OK but you have 50 words to convince your reader that's there's a good reason to make this change. Your background in science will help because you can apply many of the principles to sociology, but you have to give them a convincing reason. You have to sell the change to the reader and the reasons you gave (being easy and job prospects) won't work. Imagine you're the person receiving this- someone who has presumably dedicated their lives to studying sociology- you've got to tell them what you will bring to the course- an analytical scientific mind and curiosity are fine, but you need the second half.

Here's the question running through the person's mind- should I give them a place and why? You have to give them a reason. And that has to come from you.

Yes. That is why I never put being easy and job prospects in the appeal letter. :)
What is the second half you meant? The reason why they should accept me? :-?

Thanks! :-D

crossoflife

Member Type
Student or Learner
I have an inquisitive mind since young there science was an obvious choice in polytechnic and a natural fit for me. The outcome of my education has equipped me with an analytical and scientific mind that prepares me well for a further education in sociology.

I have edited my letter but I do not know how to use the remaining word for the "second reason" :-(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.