Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: Non-native speaker's accent (BE)

Your pronunciation is excellent. Could you upload something where you're not reading- the problem with reading is that the intonation can be artificial because they're not your words- the reading's a bit bouncy at times (turning a page or two), but this isn't a problem with your speaking. :up:

Crallballa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Norway

Thank you. ;-)

You're right, the intonation sounds a bit strange at times. I also noticed that it's read a little too "breathy". Unfortunately, I have no "unread" recordings. Only another read example - which I find rather hilarious, though. :-D

Rate Accent & Pronunciation: Where does the speaker come from? - YouTube

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thank you. ;-)

You're right, the intonation sounds a bit strange at times. I also noticed that it's read a little too "breathy". Unfortunately, I have no "unread" recordings. Only another read example - which I find rather hilarious, though. :-D

Rate Accent & Pronunciation: Where does the speaker come from? - YouTube
Excellent! :up: :) (Incidentally, if you didn't write it, the writer has led you into making a slight mistake: at about 34" seconds you say /'faɪnəli:/ - an accurate reading of the printed word 'finally'. But , for sense, it should be 'finely' - pronounced, as I'm sure you know, /'faɪnli:/; an argument can be 'finely balanced' but not 'finally balanced'.)

b

Crallballa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Norway

Thanks for your comment :)

But it is, in fact, "finally". Here is a 3 year old recording of the same text, showing the original excerpt in the background (which our professor gave us in class):

Received Pronunciation "The Grand Design" - YouTube

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Thanks for your comment :)

But it is, in fact, "finally". Here is a 3 year old recording of the same text, showing the original excerpt in the background (which our professor gave us in class):

Received Pronunciation "The Grand Design" - YouTube
I'm afraid 'finally' just doesn't work. The reader here is obviously reading from a text that has a typo in it, and because the text is so dense and complex they've lost track of the sense. It is, I suppose, just possible for the words 'finally' and 'balanced' to collocate (although BNC doesn't have an instance of it): you could say 'the argument is good, comprensive, and - finally - balanced'. But in your context the criticism is generally negative: 'Go away and do it again'; so this sort of collocation is ruled out.

On the other hand, 'finely balanced' is the third most common collocation of this sort:
1 FINELY CHOPPED 72
2 FINELY TUNED 44
3 FINELY BALANCED 25
4 FINELY SLICED 19
5 FINELY PROPORTIONED 12
6 FINELY GROUND 9
7 FINELY DICED 9
8 FINELY HONED 9
9 FINELY KNOTTED 8
10 FINELY GRATED 8
... [BK: there are well over 1000 in all.]
See more here: British National Corpus (BYU-BNC), using the search-string finely [*v] ;-)

PS Two words you might want to look up (and - p o s s i b l y use) are sesquipedalian and grandiloquent!

Last edited:

Crallballa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Norway

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I wouldn't say there was 'an improvement', as neither is RP. The first, as you say, is Kiwi-influenced. The vowel sounds in the second sounds to me as if there is a Northern influence (in, e.g. 'really an excellent plan', 'some of the doubts', 'in practice') - in fact it sounds a bit like a friend of mine from Shrewsbury (not that Northern. but definitely not Southern).

I initially put it at Yorkshire or Lancashire, but the second syllable of 'propose' does not have the pure [o] sound I'd excpect there. It seems to use [ǝʊ] (perhaps tending towards a triphthong, starting with something closer and less central - [e] perhaps. (I hung up my narrow transcription gloves many years ago, so this is the best I can do. :oops:). This [eǝʊ] sound is what made me think of my Shrewsbury friend - it's the sort of accent she'd put on at a vicar's tea-party (consciously correct). ;-)

So if when you say 'improved' you mean 'less unBritish' then the second one is that, to my ear.

b

Crallballa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Norway

Ok, so we moved from Kiwi to British - but still with an audible German accent? :cry:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Not audibly German - just with a slight 'twang' that puts the speaker some way to the north of southern England. (I didn't know you were German until I looked at your Member Info.) There are no obvious flaws in your accent! :up: ;-)

b

Crallballa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Norway

Phew, so the work paid off. ;-) Thanks for all your comments. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.