Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Could '(someone is) halfway gone' mean (someone is) a bit crazy, like in another world?
There's no context.
I was just thinking of this as an internet name (handle), like 'HalfwayGoneAlex'.
Does it make sense as an English handle?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could '(someone is) halfway gone' mean (someone is) a bit crazy, like in another world?
There's no context.
I was just thinking of this as an internet name (handle), like 'HalfwayGoneAlex'.
Does it make sense as an English handle?

I wouldn't know what it meant.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In an atmosphere where alcohol is being served/consumed it would mean that a person is half-drunk, but I have no idea what measurement method is used.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I hadn't noticed the potential "drunk" suggestion. I would say "half gone" in that context, not "halfway gone".

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Q1: So, 'gone' can mean 'drunk', but not 'crazy'?

Q2: Okay, 'half-gone', not 'halfway gone'.
Then, could "HalfGoneAlex" be a handle (a name used on a website)?
I mean, I don't want to use an awkward name, which suggests I'm a non-native speaker of English.
Some adjectives are used before nouns and others are used after nouns.
In this case, it it okay to place 'half-gone' BEFORE a noun (name)?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Q1: So, 'gone' can mean 'drunk', but not 'crazy'?

Q2: Okay, 'half-gone', not 'halfway gone'.
Then, could "HalfGoneAlex" be a handle (a name used on a website)?
I mean, I don't want to use an awkward name, which suggests I'm a non-native speaker of English.
Some adjectives are used before nouns and others are used after nouns.
In this case, it it okay to place 'half-gone' BEFORE a noun (name)?

Thank you.

To be honest, you can call yourself anything you like. I don't think many people would look at a username on a website and use it to work out whether or not the person is a native English speaker or not. As you can see from our comments though, "halfway gone", "half gone" or similar phrases, don't really have specific meanings, or they might mean different things to different people. If your username on this site was "HalfwayGoneAlex" I wouldn't stop to wonder why or what it meant. I haven't stopped to wonder why you're called "pinkie9".

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
To be honest, you can call yourself anything you like. I don't think many people would look at a username on a website and use it to work out whether or not the person is a native English speaker or not. As you can see from our comments though, "halfway gone", "half gone" or similar phrases, don't really have specific meanings, or they might mean different things to different people. If your username on this site was "HalfwayGoneAlex" I wouldn't stop to wonder why or what it meant. I haven't stopped to wonder why you're called "pinkie9".

Thank you for your reply. I see your point, but some people, including me, do care about these things. I do wonder why you're called 'emsr2d2'. I believe that always having a high consciousness about each word and being meticulous about it is good for improving language skills.

So I'd appreciate it if someone could answer. You can forget about the handle but I still would like to know the answers from the standpoints of word meanings and grammar.

Q1: 'Gone' can mean 'drunk', but not 'crazy'. Is that correct?
Q2: Is it grammatically correct to put 'half-gone' before a noun or a proper noun?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for your reply. I see your point, but some people, including me, do care about these things. I do wonder why you're called 'emsr2d2'. I believe that always having a high consciousness about each word and being meticulous about it is good for improving language skills.

So I'd appreciate it if someone could answer. You can forget about the handle but I still would like to know the answers from the standpoints of word meanings and grammar.

Q1: 'Gone' can mean 'drunk', but not 'crazy'. Is that correct?
Q2: Is it grammatically correct to put 'half-gone' before a noun or a proper noun?

Q1: No that's not necessarily correct. Some people might take "gone" to mean "crazy".
Q2: Yes it's grammatical, "half-gone" is acting as an adjective describing "Alex".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: 'Gone' doesn't have to mean drunk. I'm not used to seeing/hearing it used, but in - for example - the film The Jungle Book Baloo the bear uses it of himself when he's carried away by music: 'I'm gone man, solid gone'.

b

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think HalfGoneAlex is quite a good name. ;-)

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I see. Thank you so much, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.