Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello everybody,

could someone please look through my cover letter. I couldn´t find anyone to help me, but it is very important to finally get a job.

Thanks in advance!

Dear Mr. Jarman,

Especially as a native Iranian I perceive the activities of the ZIF as very valuable and important. Particularly when the majority of the own family lives in a conflict area, it is good to know that outsiders take a stand for peaceful conditions in other parts of the world. To guarantee this, good international and intercultural understandings are therefore indispensable.

Beyond my Iranian skills, during my studies and especially during my semester abroad in Clermont- Ferrand in France, I had the possibility to develop very well and apply my English and French skills. Another part of my studies were cultural studies courses, which I followed with great interest. To acquire additional basic knowledge I am currently attending a further education in economics. Courses I already attended include Public Relations and culture management among others.

Self- evidently, I possess not least due to correlating EDP courses during my studies excellent general computer literacy and particular text and information processing program skills as well as spreadsheets (MS Office). As I identify strongly with the field of activities of the ZIF and as I am willing to learn something new, the position is perfect for me.

To get an idea of me and my strengths, I am willing to perform an internship in advance. Furthermore, the agency for employment grants a settling- in grant in case of recruitment.

I am of course ready to move to Berlin and could then take up the position immediately.

Sincerely,

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everybody,

could someone please look through my cover letter. I couldn´t find anyone to help me, but it is very important to finally get a job.

Thanks in advance!

Dear Mr. Jarman,

[STRIKE]Especially [/STRIKE] As a native Iranian I perceive the activities of the ZIF as very valuable and important. Particularly when the majority of [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE] my own family lives in a conflict area, it is good to know that outsiders take a stand for peaceful conditions in other parts of the world. To guarantee this, good international and intercultural understandings are [STRIKE]therefore [/STRIKE]indispensable.

Beyond my Iranian skills (And...what are these skills? Do you mean your ability to speak in your native language? If so, then write something like, "Beyond my advanced skills in Farsi... [If Farsi is the language you are referring to], during my studies, and especially during my semester abroad in Clermont- Ferrand in France, I had the [STRIKE]possibility [/STRIKE] opportunity to develop [STRIKE]very well [/STRIKE]and apply both my English and French skills. Another part of my studies were cultural studies courses, which I followed with great interest. To acquire additional basic knowledge I am currently attending a [STRIKE]further education [/STRIKE] class in economics. Courses I already attended include public relations and culture management, among others.

[STRIKE]Self- evidently,[/STRIKE] I possess [STRIKE]not least due to correlating EDP courses during my studies [/STRIKE]excellent general computer literacy and particularly text and information processing program skills, as well as spreadsheets (MS Office). As I identify strongly with the field of activities of the ZIF and as I am willing to learn something new, the position is perfect for me. (This is the problem one sees in most cover letters - what is good for you, what you want. The person reading this letter is looking to advance his/her organization. What can you do to help this reader see that you are the best candidate?)

To get an idea of me and my strengths, I am willing to perform an internship in advance. Furthermore, the agency for employment grants a settling (What is a "settling")- in grant in case of recruitment.

I am, of course, ready to move to Berlin and could then take up the position immediately.

Sincerely,
I haven't see the acronym EDP in years. Is it still used in computer sciences?

LionQueen87

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I haven't see the acronym EDP in years. Is it still used in computer sciences?

Thank you very much for the correction!!
I found EDP as well as settling- in grant in the dictionary. I´m not sure weather it´s used frequently. I wanted to say that the agency for employment grants some kind of money for the company when they take me.

Do you mean it would be better to change the sentence "...the position is perfect for me" to "I am perfect for the company"?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Especially as a native Iranian ...
I am curious. Your CV say that you are Iranian, but your UE profile says that you are German. Which is correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

LionQueen87

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I am curious. Your CV say that you are Iranian, but your UE profile says that you are German. Which is correct?

I live in Germany, but my mother is there from ;) (father is German too)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much for the correction!!
I found EDP as well as settling-in grant in the dictionary. I´m not sure [strike]weather[/strike] whether it´s used frequently. I wanted to say that the agency for employment grants some kind of money for the company when they take me.

Do you mean it would be better to change the sentence "...the position is perfect for me" to "I am perfect for the company"?

If you're going to say "I am perfect for the company" you will have to back that up with the reasons why you would be such a perfect employee.

I would have thought that a "settling-in grant" would be money given to the new employee to help them to move to a new city, perhaps money to help with furniture removal costs or travel costs. I've never heard the phrase but I wouldn't have guessed that the money is given to the company.

As 5jj said, please make sure your profile information is correct.

LionQueen87

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
If you're going to say "I am perfect for the company" you will have to back that up with the reasons why you would be such a perfect employee.

I would have thought that a "settling-in grant" would be money given to the new employee to help them to move to a new city, perhaps money to help with furniture removal costs or travel costs. I've never heard the phrase but I wouldn't have guessed that the money is given to the company.

As 5jj said, please make sure your profile information is correct.

It is correct :) I was born in Germany, I live here and my passport is German. Only my mother is not German ;)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It is correct :) I was born in Germany, I live here and my passport is German. Only my mother is not German ;)

OK, I see your profile information is now correct. Your mother would be able to say "As a native Iranian" because she was born there. You are German, with Iranian ancestry.

Status
Not open for further replies.