Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Austria
is it different from just "hey"? more inviting?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It would depend on context and tone of voice. It would be possible to say 'Hey you' in an inviting way (to someone you know very well - 'Hey you - great to see you again!'). But more often than not 'Hey you' sounds aggressive (and may be regarded as impolite: 'Hey you - can't you read? Get off my land.'

It is often used in this way - perhaps together with some distinguishing feature, to catch the attention of someone you don't know by name: 'Hey, you with the glasses, get out of here. This is private.'

b

alikim

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Austria
I'm asking about occasions when an email starts with "hey, you" or people greet somebody they know saying "hey, you", so it's definitely not offensive or aggressive or to get attention

What I'm trying to understand, is it always (a bit) inviting (especially in writing) or depending of your tone it can be neutral?

On the other hand, if you want just to be neutral, why would you say "hey, you" instead of just "hey"?

Also, is it only OK to say this to the opposite sex or it doesn't matter?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If this is a good friend, then "Hey, you" is fine. If you don't know the person that well, I would find it a bit aggressive. In speech, it can obviously be softened, but in an e-mail you can't hear the tone used.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It can be. If it's an exchange between friends, then "hey you" can be taken as "warmer" or more friendly than a simple "hey." Quite often those who greet with "hey" are somewhat shy and undemonstrative, and in their minds "hey" is more personal and friendly than just "hi" or "hello." When "hey" turns to "hey, you" it's their version of a hearty handshake or a hug.

(Oddly enough, I have a boss who lives in a different state and we communicate 90% of the time via email. He is somewhat awkward socially, and for the first year or so that I worked for him his emails had no introductory greeting at all. Once we'd chatted back and forth for a time, both via email and a few times on the phone, his emails to me were suddenly prefaced with "Hey." Major breakthrough - an actual hint at friendliness! ;-) When we finally met in person he greeted me with "Hey, you!", which he now uses as a greeting in all our phone and email exchanges. That's about as personal as he gets.)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm asking about occasions when an email starts with "hey, you" or people greet somebody they know saying "hey, you", so it's definitely not offensive or aggressive or to get attention

What I'm trying to understand, is it always (a bit) inviting (especially in writing) or depending of your tone it can be neutral?

On the other hand, if you want just to be neutral, why would you say "hey, you" instead of just "hey"?

Also, is it only OK to say this to the opposite sex or it doesn't matter?

Because, as I and other people have said, it is OK between close friends, I and many other people would regard it as over-familiar (and therefore impolite) in an email. Don't use it, unless you know the recipient well.

b

alikim

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Austria
thanks guys!

Status