Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Examples:
I was trying to figure out my statistics homework when I discovered a shortcut to solving the problems.
I was trying to figure out my statistics homework when I discovered a shortcut to solve the problems.

First, are both correct, to solve and to solving? If not, why?
Second, is solving the object of the preposition to? and what is its function?
Third, is to solve an infinitive (acting as an adjective)?

Thanks.

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Better: I was trying to figure out my statistics homework when I discovered a shortcut for solving the problems.

I was trying to figure out my statistics homework when I discovered a shortcut to solve problems.

philo2009

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Examples:
I was trying to figure out my statistics homework when I discovered a shortcut to solving the problems.
I was trying to figure out my statistics homework when I discovered a shortcut to solve the problems.

First, are both correct, to solve and to solving? If not, why?
Second, is solving the object of the preposition to? and what is its function?
Third, is to solve an infinitive (acting as an adjective)?

Thanks.

The second, employing an adnominal (or adjectival) infinitive phrase, is rather unnatural, and some speakers would not accept it. The first, employing an adnominal prepositional phrase, is both correct and natural (although 'for solving', as suggested by another contributor, would also be possible).

Yes, gerund 'solving' here functions as the object of the preposition 'to', whilst simultaneously governing NP 'the problem' as its direct object.

hoangkha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
- There are no short cuts to economic recovery. (OALD)
TO in this construction is a preposition.
So
- I was trying to figure out my statistics homework when I discovered a short cut to solving the problems.(correct)
- I was trying to figure out my statistics homework when I discovered a short cut to solve the problems..(incorrect)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
- I was trying to figure out my statistics homework when I discovered a short cut to solve the problems. (incorrect)
As philo wrote, that "is rather unnatural, and some speakers would not accept it".

Status
Not open for further replies.