Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
A few days ago I posted a question in the forum regarding the use of infinitive and gerund. The wording of my question was such that it didn't sound natural to me. Regarding the use of infinitive and gerund I wrote: "If we can use both; when an infinitive and when a gerund?" This second part of the sentence after the semicolon is what I am talking about.

"When an infinitive and when a gerund".
Is it natural?
Can we use the following sentences to describe it?

1. Under what conditions/circumstances do we use an infinitive and and under what conditions do we use a gerund?

2. In what situations do we use an infinitive and in what situations do we use a gerund?

How would a native speaker say it?

aachu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Afghanistan
With apologies to Rover_KE, I am making another post here rather than editing my above post. The reason is I am unable to do so perhaps because I am using usingenglish.com through my mobile. There is no such option as 'edit post' with above post.

I wanted to say this. It appears that I haven't been able to get my message across to the teachers. Dear teachers, I just wanted know if the following interrogative sentences are natural.
(1) When do we use an infinitive
and when a gerund?
(2) Under what conditions do we use an infinitive and under what conditions a gerund?
(3) In what situations do we use and infinitive and in what situations a gerund?
(4) Under what circumstances do we use...
I am not asking to answer these questions. Rather, I want to know if these interrogative sentences are correct or not.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
(1) When do we use an infinitive and when a gerund?
(2) Under what conditions do we use an infinitive and under what conditions a gerund?
(3) In what situations do we use an[STRIKE]d[/STRIKE] infinitive and in what situations a gerund?
(4) Under what circumstances do we use...
#1 is fine. #3 is fine; #2 and #4 don't sound very natural to me.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
For 3), unfortunately, I don't see any general rule to guide you. Each verb has its own preference based on convention, style, habit, and all of that.

For example 'intend' seems to require an infinitive and sounds unnatural with a gerund: He intends to study all weekend.

'Enjoy' seems to have the opposite convention: She enjoys studying languages, but not She enjoys to study languages.

'Like' can go either way: They like playing cricket. We like to play baseball.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Oh, now I see. Yes, they look all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.