Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It not the grammar used here but the situation that I don't understand. I have worked even for Canadian companies, but I have never experienced dark offices. Do they turn off lights to see computer screens better? I can't get what kind of situation it is here.

pp41)Years ago the staff of our newspaper was on big happy family. We mixed freely with each other, exchanging gossip and ideas. All of this stimulated creativity and we showed each other our stories. Everyone knew everybody else's business. We used each other's pens, drank coffee from look-alike cups and read each other's press releases. Then came the computer and the lights went out- rooms were darkened to make it easier for people to read the material on their screens. Staff members locked themselves in their small offices, cut off from the outside world. Editors no longer discussed stories with each other. They corrected stories on the screen without ever seeing the reporter who had worked on them.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He is talking both literally and figuratively here. Literally, when he says that rooms were darkened; but that probably means no more than what we do at home to reduce glare and reflections on our computer screens, such as reducing the level of lighting or partially drawing blinds. Figuratively, when he says "Then came the computer and the lights went out". This underlined expression is often employed to indicate a change for the worse: in this case, he means the loss of human contact and intercourse in the daily routine.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The claim seems as ridiculous to me as it does to you. If you name the book and its author I might be able to add to the context.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I can understand it doesn't makes sense to you. either, but Grumpy made some point out of it, which seems partially right to me. BTW, Did you make a mistake? What do you mean by "to the context"?

If you name the book and its author I might be able to the context.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, initially I omitted "add to".

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"but Grumpy made some point out of it, which seems partially right to me."

Whaddya mean "partially right"?

.......only joking!

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I saw two contradicting opinions as probus seems to have said the writing is nonsense, if I'm not mistaken. So I was not hundred percent sure of either opinion, not knowing which to follow.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Don't worry - I was​ only joking!

Status
Not open for further replies.