Is it Dough or Doe?

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
  • Views : 89,939
Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

ok when someone is talking about cash for example I hate taking back my cans but I sure like the dough. Is it spelled dough or doe? I said doe because dough is bread but some people say its spelled dough for the saying Im rolling in the dough. So for this particular sentence about "but I sure like the dough" how should it be spelled?

Searching for language

Member Type
Other
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Canada
ok when someone is talking about cash for example I hate taking back my cans but I sure like the dough. Is it spelled dough or doe? I said doe because dough is bread but some people say its spelled dough for the saying Im rolling in the dough. So for this particular sentence about "but I sure like the dough" how should it be spelled?

Dough/cash Doe/female deer.

I am not a teacher.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: Like English '60s slang 'bread' (meaning money), or the expression 'earning an honest crust'.

b

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would this have stemmed from the term 'bread winner'?

Interesting thought!

Today you still might hear "I don't have that kind of dough" but the use of "bread" would sound like you needed love beads and a peace symbol.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Interesting thought!

Today you still might hear "I don't have that kind of dough" but the use of "bread" would sound like you needed love beads and a peace symbol.
And what's wrong with love beads and peace symbols?;-)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There are many other figures of speech that equate food with money - 'worth his salt', 'bring home the bacon', 'put food on the table'. And this doesn't apply only to English; Spanish slang for money is pasta (at least it was when I was there). I expect many other languages do something similar.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.