Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"To resume disbursments of frozen loans from the International Monetary Fund, the Supreme Council has not only approved a zero deficit budget but adopted laws for carrying out a banking reform,the new banking law was adopted with the budget having been approved.''

OR

""To resume disbursments of frozen loans from the International Monetary Fund, the Supreme Council has not only approved a zero deficit budget but adopted laws for carrying out a banking reform,not until the budget had been approved,was the new banking law adopted."

Would you please correct them? Sound OK?

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"To resume disbursments of frozen loans from the International Monetary Fund, the Supreme Council has not only approved a zero deficit budget but adopted laws for carrying out a banking reform --I was doing okay up to here.

,the new banking law was adopted with the budget having been approved.'' -- I can't understand what you mean here.

OR

""To resume disbursments of frozen loans from the International Monetary Fund, the Supreme Council has not only approved a zero deficit budget but adopted laws for carrying out a banking reform,not until the budget had been approved,was the new banking law adopted."??

I can't make out the part in blue at all. It seems like you need to try to say this using more than one sentence.

I would also use an "also" -- not only... but also...

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I can't make out the part in blue at all. It seems like you need to try to say this using more than one sentence.

I would also use an "also" -- not only... but also...

Regarding the part in blue, could I use it as a separate sentence to mean that the new banking law was adopted right after the budget had been aproved?

Regarding the part in pink, I was trying to mean that the aproval of the budget preceded the adoption of the new banking law?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"To resume disbursements of frozen loans from the International Monetary Fund, the Supreme Council has not only approved a zero deficit budget but adopted laws for carrying out a banking reform,the new banking law was adopted with the budget having been approved.''

OR

""To resume disbursements of frozen loans from the International Monetary Fund, the Supreme Council has not only approved a zero deficit budget but adopted laws for carrying out a banking reform,not until the budget had been approved,was the new banking law adopted."

To resume disbursements of frozen loans from the IMF, the Supreme Council has not only approved a zero deficit budget but also adopted laws for carrying out a banking reform. The new banking law was adopted (only) after the budget had been approved.

Your second version is too convoluted, in my opinion.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
To resume disbursements of frozen loans from the IMF, the Supreme Council has not only approved a zero deficit budget but also adopted laws for carrying out a banking reform. The new banking law was adopted (only) after the budget had been approved.

Your second version is too convoluted, in my opinion.

My second choice would be "Not until the budget had been approved,was the new banking law adopted."?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
My second choice would be "Not until the budget had been approved,was the new banking law adopted."?

Okay. But why? Your sentence seems to me to have the wrong tone/style for the topic at hand. This kind of topic calls for a straightforward business-like language.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Okay. But why? Your sentence seems to me to have the wrong tone/style for the topic at hand. This kind of topic calls for a straightforward business-like language.

It's just that our teachers make us use this mighty complex grammar constructions. I'm not realy comfortable at using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.