Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's roughly: In only a few months or years...

Mansfield

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Ok, Thanks you :-D

Skeptik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(Not a teacher, just curious)

After thinking about this, using matter in this way is very abstract and contextual.

The best definition I can think of is "The substance of a situation", but this does not imply how important the situation is. It can be important or trivial.

Small matters
Big matters
Political matters
"What's the matter?" (What is the problem?)
Matters of the heart

The difficulty of overcoming a situation or the challenge (or a lack of challenge) "It is simply a matter of doing these things."

In this example, "In a matter of months", it implies that passage or time was insignificant or unimportant, no challenge. Without context, to an outsider, how does one know the significance of the situation? Maybe it was a big matter.

The worst is "Matter of fact". This phrase makes little sense to me when I try to analyze it. I typically translate it to mean "serious", but now I'm not so sure.

catbert

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In this example, "In a matter of months", it implies that passage or time was insignificant or unimportant, no challenge. Without context, to an outsider, how does one know the significance of the situation? Maybe it was a big matter.

The worst is "Matter of fact". This phrase makes little sense to me when I try to analyze it. I typically translate it to mean "serious", but now I'm not so sure.

You are way overthinking it. It's just a figure of speech. All "matter of fact" means is "actually". As an adjective "matter-of-fact" means unemotional, dispassionate.

"In a matter of days/ months/ whatever" means it took that little time for the situation to unravel.

Status
Not open for further replies.