Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.
Don't panic means "don't worry"?

It's more than worry. "To panic" is physical and emotional. People who are panicking might shake, cry, scream or any manner of things. Have you looked up "to panic" in an English definition dictionary and also in one which translates it into your own language?

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It's more than worry. "To panic" is physical and emotional. People who are panicking might shake, cry, scream or any manner of things. Have you looked up "to panic" in an English definition dictionary and also in one which translates it into your own language?
Not in an english-persian dictionary, but only in cambridge dictionary®.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Try your English-Persian dictionary and see if the word you find in Persian for "panic" is the same as the word for "worry".

hooshdar3

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Try your English-Persian dictionary and see if the word you find in Persian for "panic" is the same as the word for "worry".
No, it's not.

I am trying to translate a chess book.After describe some rule, the text goes:
"Still confused?don't panic."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, it's not.

I am trying to translate a chess book. After describing [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] one rule, the text goes:
"Still confused? Don't panic."

I guess it depends if you're the kind of person who is likely to panic simply because they don't understand a chess rule!

I would say that "Don't panic" has been used somewhat ironically here - ie not completely seriously. They could equally have said "Don't worry" in this context. I imagine that they are saying that you shouldn't worry/panic if you didn't understand the rule because with practice, or with more explanation, it will become clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.