Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi everybody, :)

To be on friendly footing with someone = To be/ feel at home with someone - to feel comfortable, feel at ease with someone, without embarrassment.

Which idiom is more common in your country?
Or do you use another one?

Thanks for all your answers!!!

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: To crash a party

They're all common. Also 'to be on first-name terms' (though this is culture-specific, as many people's second name is their given name).

b

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

I'm confused. Neither of these have anything to do with crashing a party.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

With my clairvoyant hat on, I think the unspoken context may be that someone feels so much at home with someone that s/he doesn't mind crashing their party. But I shared your confusion (until I put that hat on :))

b

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

With my clairvoyant hat on, I think the unspoken context may be that someone feels so much at home with someone that s/he doesn't mind crashing their party. But I shared your confusion (until I put that hat on :))

b

Interesting theory. But I'm not buying that hat. :-(

Olenek

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

I'm confused. Neither of these have anything to do with crashing a party.

Sorry, friends! I'm thinking of English idioms too much!

At first I wanted to ask about "To crash a party" :) But suddenly changed my mind.

OK. I think the phrases "To crash the gate" and "To crash a party" (in regard to parties) are popular enough.
Nouns "party-crasher" and "gate-crasher" arose from these phrases.
I don't know whether other idioms with the same sense are used.
:-?

Last edited:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Sorry, friends! I'm thinking of English idioms too much!

At first I wanted to ask about "To crash a party" :) But suddenly changed my mind.

OK. I think the phrases "To crash the gate" and "To crash a party" (in regard to parties) are popular enough.
Nouns "party-crasher" and "gate-crasher" arose from these phrases.
I don't know whether other idioms with the same sense are used.
:-?

What leads you to think this? 'Crashing a gate' - if the expression exists at all - would involve actual violence (such as criminals might cause during a car chase). 'The masked man crashed the gate, and bits of wood flew everywhere'; here it means 'crashed through'. People don't crash through parties.

'Gate-crasher' dates from 1927 (if not before - it takes a while for idiomatic usage to filter through to printed dictionaries - Online Etymology Dictionary; it means 'someone who goes to a party uninvited'. I think 'party-crasher' (not an expression I've ever heard) would - if ever used - be an attempt to explain [or dispense with a perceived need for an explanation of] either 'gate-crasher' or the abbreviated form 'crasher'. In my experience, abbreviated forms arise from whatever expressions they abbreviate. ;-)

b

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Wanna(do you want to) crash their party?
This is pretty common in Canada. I think in the States as well.

Also related to crash if you are interested...
-I'm gonna crash at his/her place. (Going to sleep over at someone's house usually after partying)

-No I'm not going out tonight. I just wanna go home and crash.
(I'm so tired that I just want to go home and do nothing except sleep.)

In Canada it is usually said with wanna, gonna.

Not a teacher.
:)

Olenek

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

What leads you to think this? 'Crashing a gate' - if the expression exists at all - would involve actual violence (such as criminals might cause during a car chase). 'The masked man crashed the gate, and bits of wood flew everywhere'; here it means 'crashed through'. People don't crash through parties.
:roll: Russian dictionaries and "ABBY Lingvo" don't contain any information of violence in phrases: "To crash a party/ the gate" (they consider these idioms as synonyms):

"gate-crash - to gain entry to (a party, concert, etc.) without invitation or payment Derived words: gate-crasher" (ABBY Lingvo)

Wikipedia also binds terms: "Gate-crashing" and "gate-crasher". And it doesn't say about violence as a precondition of "Gate-crashing":

"Gate-crashing, Gatecrashing or party crashing (specific to parties) is the act of attending an invite-only event without invitation.The person doing the gate-crashing is known as a gate-crasher."

Gate-crashing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"crash the gate - come to a party, concert or another event without being invited; enter without a ticket or without paying"

crash the gate

There is no word of masked man :roll:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

No, I didn't say there was such an implication. I said that 'gate-crasher' was not derived from the idea of crashing a gate. On the contrary, the expression 'crash a party' is an abridged form of 'enter a party as a gate-crasher'; the derivaation does not follow the route you suggested.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.