I take GREAT Offense to something posted on this site....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlubNES

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
I know this really sucks, especially being my first post.

I recently registered here and I believe there is a heck of a lot I can learn. BUT, something REALLY needs to be changed...

Cockney Rhyming Slang: 36 entries beginning with 'A'

Abraham Lincoln(UK) Abraham Lincoln = stinking

Why on earth would you use the work 'stinking' to rhyme with Lincoln when you could have easily used 'Thinking'? Wouldn't that be more appropriate for one of the Greatest Presidents of the United States of America?

This is extremely offensive.

Doug Montgomery

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm afraid you're expressing your ire to the wrong people. You need to convince the entire population of people who use that slang that it's offensive, and not blame the people who simply let you know what it means. The reason the site didn't use "thinking" is because it does not mean "thinking." It would be like saying "I think when you define 'kick the bucket' you should say it means 'fix the sink.'"

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why on earth would you use the work 'stinking' to rhyme with Lincoln when you could have easily used 'Thinking'?

It is common to use people's names for rhyming slang- this may not always be polite, but it is what is done. McDonalds complained to the OED about McJobs as they found it offensive, but Oxford refused to remove it as it was simply recording language use. It is not meant as an insult to a great man by recording it, and I doubt that it was meant as such by those who came up with it. We aren't making this slang up - it is in use and this term has been recorded elsewhere with this meaning - changing it to a meaning that isn't used would defeat the purpose of a glossary.

KlubNES

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Poland
My apologies for responding so late to this thread and the comments. I have been on a little vacation at Euro Woodstock.

I guess I spoke a little out of line and took things a bit out of context without a clear understanding of the term. I've never been to the UK nor have I ever heard this slang. If it's a common everyday thing for the Brits to refer to and use one of the Greatest American presidents of all time's name in such a way well, 'no comment'.

We know what we know and we are who we are based on 2 things and 2 things only, the people we associate with and the books and/or TV we read and/or watch.

Cheers
Doug

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
Lillian Gish = fish…? How dare they!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Just as famous people may contribute to rhyming slang, they can also be referred to by it. I have heard a certain royal duke* referred to as 'Phil the bubble'. This is because when he originally came to England, he was 'Prince Philip of Greece, so, 'Phil the Greek', 'Phil the bubble and squeak, 'Phil the bubble'.

*His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Earl of Merioneth, Baron Greenwich, Royal Knight of the Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Grand Master and First and Principal Knight Grand Cross of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Member of the Order of Merit, Companion of the Order of Australia, Extra Companion of the Queen's Service Order, Royal Chief of the Order of Logohu, Canadian Forces Decoration, Lord of Her Majesty's Most Honourable Privy Council, Privy Councillor of the Queen's Privy Council for Canada, Personal Aide-de-Camp to Her Majesty, Lord High Admiral of the United Kingdom.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, rhyming slang frequently uses real people's names.

Pete Tong = wrong (Pete Tong is a DJ and quite a well-respected one. No-one is suggesting that there is anything "wrong" with him!)

Hank Marvin = starving (but pronounced starvin'). Again, I don't think anyone is suggesting that the famous guitarist didn't get enough food.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A lower second class degree in England, a 2:2 (two two), was referred to at one time as a 'Desmond'.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
...nor have I ever heard this slang. If it's a common everyday thing for the Brits to refer to and use one of the Greatest American presidents of all time's name in such a way well, 'no comment'.

I haven't heard ti either. It's not common, though apparently it's been recorded.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A lower second class degree in England, a 2:2 (two two), was referred to at one time as a 'Desmond'.
And a third class degree was a Richard.

And while Hank Marvin wasn't notably deprived of food, there is an element of good-natured teasing in this expression, as he's far from well-covered.

b

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
If it's a common everyday thing for the Brits to refer to and use one of the Greatest American presidents of all time's name in such a way well, 'no comment'.

Cockney rhyming slang is something used in certain areas of London- most British people will not know this term, though some rhyming slang has become part of the wider language, like have a butcher's (meaning have a look, the rhyme being butcher's hook). In most areas of British life, President Lincoln would be treated with respect, but in one small area of slang his name has been used this way. Rhyming slang is irreverent and creative, and the drive of it is meant to be harmless. You can ask for a pint of Nelson (Nelson Mendela = Stella [Artois]) and it's not meant to be rude about another great politician, just cheeky.

Rhyming slang is found in other variants like Australian English.

Status
Not open for further replies.