Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The characteristics of the pain are similar to the properties of acute heart stroke the patient suffered before

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The characteristics of the pain are similar to the properties of acute heart stroke the patient suffered before

I don't think you can equate the characteristics of a particular pain to an actual medical condition. In addition, what is "acute heart stroke"? I know what "acute angina", "heart attack" and "stroke" are but I've never seen an "acute heart stroke".

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't think you can equate the characteristics of a particular pain to an actual medical condition. In addition, what is "acute heart stroke"? I know what "acute angina", "heart attack" and "stroke" are but I've never seen an "acute heart stroke".

Please click:
acute heart stroke

Let's talk about grammar only. Supposed that "acute angina" (not acute heart stroke) was in the OP's thread. How to edit it?

Englishholic

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Syria
Current Location
Jordan
I do agree with emrs2d2 that "heart stroke" is wrong whereas "heart attack" is right....
the latter refers to the condition when the heart stops working...!!!!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please click:
acute heart stroke

Let's talk about grammar only. Supposed that "acute angina" (not acute heart stroke) was in the OP's thread. How to edit it?

OK, so I don't have a medical degree!

As I said in my original response, I don't think you can compare the characteristics of a particular pain with a separate medical condition.

Did you mean that the pain the patient suffered this time was the same as the pain experienced when he/she suffered an acute heart stroke previously?

NewHopeR

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
OK, so I don't have a medical degree!

As I said in my original response, I don't think you can compare the characteristics of a particular pain with a separate medical condition.

Did you mean that the pain the patient suffered this time was the same as the pain experienced when he/she suffered an acute heart stroke previously?

Yes!
Could we make it more succinct (with less words)?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The pain was similar to that of her previous acute angina attack.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The pain was similar to that of her previous acute heart stroke.
Stick with your previous feeling! 'Heart stroke' is not natural English.

ps. NewHopeR, you have a number of threads with similar titles, none of which helps us much. "characteristics similar to properties?" would have been good for this.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Stick with your previous feeling! 'Heart stroke' is not natural English.

I did notice that the link went to Google China or somewhere so I opened Google UK and searched for "acute heart stroke". I found precisely one hit on page 1 so I decided to avoid the issue (!) and deal with the "pain" question. I do stand by my assertion that "heart stroke" isn't correct English but went with it for the sake of speed.

I've gone back and amended my post to "acute angina attack" as we all know that exists!

Status
Not open for further replies.