[Essay] English Essay (Chaucer-The Millers Tale)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello everybody. I'm a new member to this forum, and hope to continue posting here. From what I've seen here so far I've found it enjoyable. To cut it short, I'm a 1st year Uni student studying a Bachelor of Education, with English as a major. My current essay is causing me some grief, since I'm not the best on this type of topic.

The essay topic needs to revolve around this point:

Chaucer always takes an interest in clothes and adornments of dress, not just in the 'General Prologue' but in the tales.
Select a number of characters from the 'General Prologue' and the 'Miller's Tale' (probably at least five) and discuss what we learn about their attire and what it reveals about their personalities.

And these are the points that I've selected so far in regards to the topic.

Discuss how he uses their appearance to describe their own personality.
Break down 4-5 characters describing what type of appearance Chaucer portrays them in, and his intended use for certain design.
How he uses their personal dress to set their stature in the fictitious society and how it helps to create them as characters. IE Habbits/emotions (arrogant etc)

For now I'm trying to select enough points to talk about (Total essay is 2,000 words) In large, the essay writing I'm capable of doing, but selecting what to talk about can be very problematic for me.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions :)

Cheers

Simon

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The wife's clothes are describe at some length in the Miller's Tale as a way of describing her body and making her sexy- he lingers at length on the interior features so he can bring up her loins, etc, IMO- her shoes are a way of making our eyes travel up her leg, for instance.

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The wife's clothes are describe at some length in the Miller's Tale as a way of describing her body and making her sexy- he lingers at length on the interior features so he can bring up her loins, etc, IMO- her shoes are a way of making our eyes travel up her leg, for instance.

Hmm. I didnt look at it that way :) I've already done abit of work on it, Over the next couple of days I'll post what I have to get some impressions.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.