Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

The council has invited tenders for the building contract.

What does "invited tenders" mean here?

This is from Cambridge.Dictionary.com and the meaning of "tender" is:

A written or formal offer to supply goods or do a job for an agreed price.

But I still don't understand "invite tenders".

Can anyone help?

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
My guess is it means that the council has opened the period to accept offers to carry out the contract; it has "invited" companies to present their offers (budgets) to build whatever the contract specifies.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My guess is it means that the council has opened the period to accept offers to carry out the contract; it has "invited" companies to present their offers (budgets) to build whatever the contract specifies.
I agree that the meaning is to invite companies to submit bids. I would argue that "budgets" do not equal "offers" in this context. Budgets are internal to a company and reflect financial decisions. Budgets are not normally made public, as would be the case in a bid.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I agree that the meaning is to invite companies to submit bids. I would argue that "budgets" do not equal "offers" in this context. Budgets are internal to a company and reflect financial decisions. Budgets are not normally made public, as would be the case in a bid.

I stand corrected. I'm not completely aware of the way public bids are handled everywhere. In Spain, one would expect at least a summary of the budget, which comes to be referred to as "buget" by the general public and by the non-specialized media. That's why I mentioned it in my post.

Status
Not open for further replies.