• Start date
  • Views : 139,058
Status
Not open for further replies.

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
"My dear" can be used among close relatives, especially by a woman to her young children or grandchildren. But it is also a bit old-fashioned. A few generations ago, it might have been used by almost anyone to a close relative or to any child.

"My sweet" is similar in meaning, and similarly slightly old-fashioned.

More common terms of endearment would be "darling", "honey" (especially in the US) and "sweetheart". Of course, there are many more, some more imaginative than others.

K

Kerim

Thanks but, i'm still wondering something. Can you say that to someone who you never know???;-)

Fazzu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tamil
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
Of course, you don't!

rewboss

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Only if you want people to think you're a little bit strange.

The classic stereotypical gentleman villain is always perfectly dressed, speaks with an upper-class British accent and addresses young ladies as "my dear". It sounds paternalistic and a bit patronising.

It could be acceptable if you were very old. Elderly men might address younger women as "my dear", elderly women can address almost any younger person as "my dear" -- but it's better if you don't.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Kerim, the French address "Ma Chere" is a term of endearment: a word or phrase expressing affection. Its English equivalent is my dear or My Dear, and it's used by husbands and wives, by mothers and fathers to their children, by boyfriends and girlfriends, and by close friends. If I knew you better I would use "My Dear, Kerim". ;-) Note, however, that it's considered patronizing when used to refer to someone who is not close to you.

Now, given the dialogue you're working with, "Ma Chere", spoken by a prostitute to address a female stranger, is a diminutive form of address. It's what that particular person uses when addressing women. It's idiomatic, as well as indicative of language used by some prostitutes. It's a kind form of address. ;-)

K

Kerim

Casiopea said:
Kerim, the French address "Ma Chere" is a term of endearment: a word or phrase expressing affection. Its English equivalent is my dear or My Dear, and it's used by husbands and wives, by mothers and fathers to their children, by boyfriends and girlfriends, and by close friends. If I knew you better I would use "My Dear, Kerim". ;-) Note, however, that it's considered patronizing when used to refer to someone who is not close to you.
Now, given the dialogue you're working with, "Ma Chere", spoken by a prostitute to address a female stranger, is a diminutive form of address. It's what that particular person uses when addressing women. It's idiomatic, as well as indicative of language used by some prostitutes. It's a kind form of address. ;-)

So what does it mean? Is its meaning same with the others' meanings???

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Kerim, the person who spoke it was being kind, that's all. She didn't know the stranger's name so she used a diminutive form of address. :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.