Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello dear Webmates. I've been asked to teach some adult language learners who are going to sit the IELTS exam next year the four language skills (Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing). I was wondering if you could recommend some books for the beginner levels, since they're really beginners! So, I think I can't use the Cambridge practice tests. I've been recommended some books like The English result series, True to Life series, Face2face series, and Headway series. Do you have any experience regarding teaching or studying for IELTS? What do you suggest? I'd appreciate your advice. Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If your learners really are beginners, then I would suggest you forget all about IELTS at the moment. Just try to enable them to communicate in English.

When they have reached roughly A2/B1 Level in the Common European Framework, You can begin to think about working towards IELTS.

niamadpour

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks 5jj. That framework is really useful. Thanks for that. I was just wondering which book series you would use if you were me for their communicative skills. Thank you very much.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A lot of people want to take IELTS way before they are ready. It's an advanced exam- it's designed to show that you are ready to study in an English language university. Beginner are a few years, and probably several, off that. For now, focus on teaching the basics. 99.9% of learners will simply not be able to go from beginner level to achieving a decent IELTS grade in a year. I had a student who had started at 11 and got a B at Cambridge Proficiency aged 16, and that really impressed me. I would say that the objectives of this course are unrealistic.

niamadpour

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Oh, so it takes several years! OK. So, I want to have a more down to earth objective like, say, improving their general communicative skills, what book series would you recommend to start with? Since I learnt English as my university major, I'm not familiar with the series such as
English result series, True to Life series, Face2face series, and Headway series. They're adult learners. Any suggestions for selecting a book series? I'd appreciate that. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.