Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
advertising

Topic: Some people say that advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not need. Others say that advertisements tell us about new products that may improve our lives. Which viewpoint do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Advertising is a business of making money by introducing and encouraging people to buy new products or use services. Whether it is good or bad depends on the aims of manufacturers.

In the first place, advertising is good because it tells us about new products. I cannot go shopping everyday so I watch television, read newspaper to have information about new products. In this case, advertising is helpful because both buyers and sellers have benefits. Buyers can enjoy the products and sellers have money.

Moreover, advertising is interesting. It attracts not only adults but also children. For example, in the advertisement of milk, there are both imagines and music. The imagine of milking cows singing the song “so happy together” impresses many people. Children have fun and insist their parents to buy this kind of milk. So why don’t we think advertising is one kind of entertainment?

In the second place, some people find they are being cheated when advertising urges them to buy things they really do not need. With modern technique, there are many counterfeit products and bad products. For example, the advertising of soft drink urges us to buy it. But when we drink, contrary to the advertisement, it have no effect or may harm our health. So before buying a product we should consider whether it is good or bad.

To sum up, advertising has both advantages and disadvantages. But I am sure that it is growing very fast in contemporary society. Advertising proimotes a product or service . Also it encourages economy to develop. We could say it is a necessary liar in our lives.

269words

I would appreciate if someone help me to check my essay and score it. :-o

Last edited:

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Topic: Some people say that advertising encourages us to buy things we really do not need. Others say that advertisements tell us about new products that may improve our lives. Which viewpoint do you agree with? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Advertising is a business of making money by introducing and encouraging people to buy new products or use services. Whether it is good or bad depends on its content and influence which can have a positive or harmful effect on the society (the aims of manufacturers).

In the first place, advertising is good because it tells us about new products. I cannot go shopping everyday so I watch television, read newspaper to have information about new products and their comparative merits over similar existing products in the market. . In this case, advertising is helpful because both buyers and sellers are (have) benefited. Buyers can have a choice to buy better (enjoy the) products and deserving sellers/manufacturers increase their sales (have money).

Moreover, advertising can be (is) interesting and inovative. So it attracts not only adults but also children. For example, in the advertisement of milk, there are both imagination and music. The screen shot (imagine) of milking cows singing the song “so happy together” impresses many people. Children have fun and insist their parents to buy this kind of milk. So can't (why don’t) we think advertising as (is) one kind of entertainment?

In the second place, some people feel that(find) they are being cheated when persuasive advertising urges them to buy things they really do not need. With the use of advanced (modern) technique, there are many unnecessary and bad but attractive (counterfeit products) products available. For example, the advertising of soft drink urges us to buy it. But when we drink, contrary to the advertisement, it has no effect but on the other hand it can (or) may harm our health. So before buying a product we should consider whether it is good or bad.

To sum up, advertising has both advantages and disadvantages. But I am sure that it is growing very fast in contemporary society. Advertising promotes a product or service . Also it encourages economy to develop. We could say it is a necessary evil and a part and parcel of (liar in) our lives.

269words

Delete words in brackets. I would rate this as good.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Advertising is a business of making money by introducing and encouraging people to buy new products or use services. Whether it is good or bad depends on the aims of manufacturers.

On one hand, advertising is good because it tells us about new products. I cannot go shopping everyday so I watch television, read newspaper to have information about new products. In this case, advertising is helpful because both buyers and sellers have benefits. Buyers can enjoy the products and sellers have money.

Moreover, advertising is interesting. It attracts not only adults but also children. For example, in the advertisement of milk, there are both images and music. The image of milking cows singing the song “so happy together” impresses many people. Children have fun and insist that their parents [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] buy this kind of milk. So why don’t we think advertising is one kind of entertainment?

[STRIKE]In the second place[/STRIKE], On the other hand some people find they are being cheated when advertising urges them to buy things they really do not need. With modern techniques, there are many counterfeit products and bad products. For example, the advertising of soft drink urges us to buy it. But when we drink, contrary to the advertisement, it has no effect or may harm our health. So before buying a product we should consider whether it is good or bad.

To sum up, advertising has both advantages and disadvantages. But I am sure that it is growing very fast in contemporary society. Advertising promotes a product or service . Also it encourages economy to develop. We could say it is a necessary evil [STRIKE]liar[/STRIKE] in our lives.

269words

Probably not your best so far. You have really only expanded a bit on what the topic already says. Your grammar is pretty good though - only a few mistakes that really need fixing.
It's difficult to write a strong essay on something like advertising if you don't really care one way or the other about it.

You only use 'Firstly ...", "Secondly ..." and similar phrases if you are putting one side of an argument. You can't say "Firstly, it's good because .... Secondly, the disadvantages are ....

san2612

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Thanks very much,
After reading some books about advertising, I have finished rewriting my essay. Please help me to correct it:

-----------------------------

-------------------------

In today's society, we are surrounded by advertising: on the street, television and almost everywhere. Although it does not always promote the needed products, I believe that advertising tells us about new ones that may improve our lives.

First of all, advertising is necessary because customers get all information about the quality, features and uses of different products. Therefore, they can write a shopping list and work out the money they will bring before going to the market. In fact, it is difficult for busy people to keep track of the information of every item because they cannot go shopping everyday. The solution to this is to see advertisements in daily newspaper and television. There are now a lot of women buying newspaper only in order to plan their weekly shopping.

Secondly, advertising helps us get some discount or sales promotion. Thanks to the advertisements for a beauty product with 20% discount, I went to the supermarket and buy it cheaper than usual. Also I felt satisfied with the products that are available cheaper rate .

Last but not the least, advertising helps to raise the standard of living of people. Instead exchanging old things, more and more manufacturers find ways to make new goods and compete with each others. And the customers get benefits from this, they can use latest items available in the market that may improve their status in the society.

Advertising is growing very fast in contemporary society. Nobody can deny its advantage of helping us to know about new products. It has become a bridge between buyers and manufacturers. We could say it is a necessary evil.

272 words

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks very much,
After reading some books about advertising, I have finished rewriting my essay. Please help me to correct it:

-----------------------------

-------------------------

In today's society, we are surrounded by advertising: on the street, television and almost everywhere. Although it does not always promote the needed products, I believe (that) advertising at times does make an impression on (tells) us about new ones that may improve our lives.

First of all, advertising is necessary because customers get all information about the quality, features and uses of different products. Therefore, they can maintain (write) a shopping list and calculate (work out) the money they need to (will) bring before going to the market. In fact, it is difficult for busy people to keep track of the information of every item because they cannot go shopping everyday. The problem can be solved by looking at (solution to this is to see) advertisements in daily newspaper and television. There are now a lot of women buying newspaper only in order to plan their weekly shopping.

Secondly, advertising helps us get some discount (or) as apart of sales promotion. Thanks to the advertisements for a beauty product with 20% discount, I went to the supermarket the other day and bought (buy) it cheaper than the usual price. Also I felt satisfied with the products that are available at cheaper rate .

Last but not the least, advertising helps to raise the standard of living of people. Instead exchanging old things, more and more manufacturers prefer (find ways) to make new products (goods) and thereby compete with each others. And in the process customers get benefits (from this), as they can switch over to the (use) latest items available in the market that may improve their status in the society.

Advertising is growing very fast in contemporary society. Nobody can deny its advantage of helping us to know about new products. It has become a bridge between buyers and manufacturers. We could say it is a necessary evil.

272 words

Delete words in brackets.
SKP

Status
Not open for further replies.