Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Norfolk Island
Current Location
Antilles
1. WilliamGolding atthe beginning in a fist paragraph shows us that there are threecategories of thinking. While he was a boy he discovered thiscategories and later on came to even stranger conclusion that hecould not think at all.
Thenarrator in the second paragraph presents us his first contact withgrade of thinking. It was in childhood when his teacher brought thesubject of thinking before him .Than the speaker focuses onstatuettes in his headmaster's office. One of them is a nearlynaked woman. The other two present satuette of leopard and musculargentleman. Next the speaker learns about symbols of statuettes. Thenaked woman was the Venus of Milo the epitome of beauty. The leopardwas nature and muscular gentleman symbolized Rodin's Thinker a imageof pure thouhgt.
Thewriter inquires that he is not integrated, he usually stand beforeteacher's desk and instead of thinking he do meny different things.Even he can't to answer on simple question . All attempts ofconversations with the speaker end in return the student to theclass. The teacher tried force student to think about his actions.

Afterwardswe found out that the narrator meets Mr. Houghton who always ordershim to think . The speaker wonders about what is the point ofdrinking beacuse of it his teacher is completely ruined . Thatteacher has diffrent point of view about thoughts. He thinks thatclean life and fresh air have a positive influence for thinking. Hepresented his students the monologues about a good life .

Wehave another person in that essay is Miss Parson. The speaker saysthat she "assured them that her dearest wish was their welfare".The narrator calls that behaviour grade-three of thinking . A crowdof grade three thinkers warm temeselves from their own prejudices.The speaker says also that this categories of thinking applies moresphere feeling rather than thought.

Gradetwo thinking is the detection of contradictions. Example of thisgrade are that people justifying their habits or his firend Ruth. Sheclaimed that the bible was literally inspired what was a menace toreligion.

Gradeone is the last presented. The narrator meets an undeniably grade-onethinker at Oxford. It is Professor Einstein. They meet up in a smallbridge and they look inside of the river. Their conversation is notabundant. They said only two German's words. There are something whatconnect them together. The speaker preferrslooking over thebridge into the river than being at school at the time.

Inconclusion the narrator changed his mind about thinking as a hobby.The speaker tells us that if he would be in teacher's office onceagain he will look at statuattes in different way. The narratorpresents himself like a person referring to religious and politicalsystem.

Ilove my bike and I have had it for five years and still looks likenew. This bike is the most valuable thing for me because I got itfrom my father. He is very important for me he learns me a lot of newthings. Cycling is great.This activity is part of my life. WhenI do my favourite sport I listen to the music. Ilove spending time in this way with my friends and family. I feelgreat and free as I am cycling.

Thisbike is really important for me because was a gift from my father formy birthday. I admire my father because he can advise me. I look upto him because he is a good listener and also he is very ambitiousperson. He teaches me to be better person every day. I have a greatfather because he always has time for me.

Mybike is quite big and very heavy. The bike looks like a horseconsists of two circles with a lot of spokes. This bike has also awicker basket wherein I always have some sweets. I find this basketvery useful. On the handlebars my bike has mirror and a big, bluebow. This handlebar is verycomfortable. When I am cycling I am sitting on a leather seat. Mybike is funny because of its pattern and decoration. It is colourfuland made in Poland. It is a mix of colours: pink, black and blue andit is striped. This bike is made of steel. I think is lasting becauseI never repair my bike.

Thisbike is the best I have ever seen. My bike also helps me stay inshape. I ride almost every day with my friends. Myfavourite place to ride a bike is our town parkbecause has a lot of great green colour. It is wonderful because itdoes not look like a popular bike because it has got very vivdcolours. I will never give my bike back to somebody.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Golding is not at all the source of those ideas. The real person behind it, inspired by German historian Max Weber in part, was the 'father of social sciences,' Wilhelm Dilthey.

His elementary operations of cognition are:

-Differentiation -- perceiving gradations of difference by degree
-Separation -- using the mind to consider one aspect of an object without considering another, e.g. the shape of a leaf, but not its colour, or vice-versa.
-Abstraction -- focussing in on only one property of an object, such as the colour, while discarding consideration of any other properties;
-Synthesis -- forming associations and drawing equations between different notions, such as the color of a leaf and the idea of your curtains, before you decide on a color.

Beyond these elementary operations lies the realm of free imagination (which he didn't consider rational).
People like Golding and other thinkers who are theorists in education seem to recycle or re-invent the wheel here over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.