what's the difference between"next day"and "the nex day"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
In what situation should I say"next day" or "the next day"?
There is an example: When I was on the stage the next day, I felt so nervous that..." why can't I say"next day" instead of that? many thanks!

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
There is an example: When I was on the stage the next day, I felt so nervous that..." why can't I say"next day" instead of that? many thanks!

Since you are referring to a specific day you must use "the," that is, the definite article. You can read about definite articles here.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Since you are referring to a specific day you must use "the," that is, the definite article. You can read about definite articles here.
I know something about definite articles, but I'm still at a loss in the use of "the next day, year..."and "next day, year...". Can you give me some specific examples in explaining it?
Like the sentence I gave above, can't I say "When I was on the stage next day, I felt so nervous that I shook like a leaf."

Last edited:

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States

Usually you should use the article "the next day," but I guess there are situations you can ommit t.

When you are telling a story, or talking about something, you can say:
"He was really upset about it. However, on the next day, he seemed to have understood it better."
"On Dec. 25 Santa Claus arrived, only to disappear the next day."

In the situations above I think you can ommit the article:
"I studied every single detail of the play. However, when I was on the stage next day, I felt so nervous that ... "
"The teacher said we would have a test next day."

Take a closer look at this sentence:
"I studied every single detail of the play. However, when I was on the stage next day, I felt so nervous that ... "
Here I think that a comma will make the article more natural:
"I studied every single detail of the play. However, when I was on the stage , the next day, I felt so nervous that ... "

Well this is just my opinion. Think about it.

Not a native speaker

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Like the sentence I gave above, can't I say "When I was on the stage next day, I felt so nervous that I shook like a leaf."

In my opinion this sentece is OK, without the article "the".
It seems the article "the" is optional here.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Usually you should use the article "the next day," but I guess there are situations you can ommit t.

When you are telling a story, or talking about something, you can say:
"He was really upset about it. However, on the next day, he seemed to have understood it better."
"On Dec. 25 Santa Claus arrived, only to disappear the next day."

In the situations above I think you can ommit the article:
"The teacher said we would have a test next day."

Take a closer look at this sentence:
Here I think that a comma will make the article more natural:
"I studied every single detail of the play. However, when I was on the stage , the next day, I felt so nervous that ... "

Well this is just my opinion. Think about it.

Not a native speaker
Thank you for your patient explanation. The sentence I gave in fact is from a grammar correction exercise, in which the one without "the" is considered wrong, and the answer to it is to add "the" before "next day".
I have always been puzzled at these two phrases. And now I'm still puzzled in spite of your answer. Isn't there a fixed rule about this?:oops:

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Thank you for your patient explanation. The sentence I gave in fact is from a grammar correction exercise, in which the one without "the" is considered wrong, and the answer to it is to add "the" before "next day".
I have always been puzzled at these two phrases. And now I'm still puzzled in spite of your answer. Isn't there a fixed rule about this?:oops:

I have never seen such rules. I just follow my ears (which I try to train by listening and reading good English).

Let us wait for some native speaker's opinions about it. I am sure kfredson will be glad to tell us something else here.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have never seen such rules. I just follow my ears (which I try to train by listening and reading good English).

Let us wait for some native speaker's opinions about it. I am sure kfredson will be glad to tell us something else here.

I teach English in China, so sometimes I have to pay special attention to some grammar points that may seem pointless, for my students may ask me those questions. Otherwise I myself actually will not care about them.:cry:

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I teach English in China, so sometimes I have to pay special attention to some grammar points that may seem pointless, for my students may ask me those questions. Otherwise I myself actually will not care about them.:cry:

I didn't mean they are pointless. I think all grammar points are important.
I just happen not to know the rules - but I would like to know them.

By using this forum I have observed that most doubts about article usage, similar to yours, come from students from Asia. Perhaps it is because in their mother tongue they have a different approach to articles usage. For instance, I learned here that in Indian languages (besides the official English) they do not have articles at all. In my mother tongue (Portuguese) there is a very similar use of articles as in English.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I didn't mean they are pointless. I think all grammar points are important.
I just happen not to know the rules - but I would like to know them.

By using this forum I have observed that most doubts about article usage, similar to yours, come from students from Asia. Perhaps it is because in their mother tongue they have a different approach to articles usage. For instance, I learned here that in Indian languages (besides the official English) they do not have articles at all. In my mother tongue (Portuguese) there is a very similar use of articles as in English.

You are absolutely right. In the language of Chinese, there do not at all exist articles. So we English learners sometimes are really troubled by such stuff. And by the way, why till now there is still not a native speaker coming out to explain my question? Is it because they think it worthless to tell? :cry:

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
You are absolutely right. In the language of Chinese, there do not at all exist articles.

What do you have instead?

And by the way, why till now there is still not a native speaker coming out to explain my question? Is it because they think it worthless to tell? :cry:

It is a difficult issue for them too. :) By that standard, you could have asked why people with blue eyes did not answer. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Do not read anything into it.

EDIT: krfedson looks like a native. (S)he answered you.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(not a teacher)

I'm a native speaker, sorry that I can't shed any more light on the issue though!

It occurs to me that every other general timeframe does not require 'the':

I will be home next week/next fortnight/next month/next year etc.

I believe it has something to do with the fact that you can just say 'tomorrow'. There is no such word for week, month, year etc. I can't quite put my finger on it, so what I'm trying to express won't be very clear!

This is the only thing close to an answer I can come up with; 'the next day' already has a word - tomorrow. Week/month etc don't. So perhaps it is something to do with language change over time - the week/month etc lost their article because it isn't needed. 'Day' kept it's article because it is used far less than week/month etc in the form 'the next ___'.

This is a complete guess!

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Oh, it just occured to me the answer... I think?

'The next day' in your example doesn't refer to 'tomorrow'. That is, it doesn't mean 'the day after today'.

'I will be on stage the next day' - the day could be any day! Notice that you can put the sentence into past and it still is correct: 'I was on stage the next day'. If 'the next day' meant 'tomorrow', this wouldn't be possible: 'I was on stage tomorrow.'

'Next year', 'next month' only work if the 'next' refers to the month/year after the current one.

You need the article in 'month' and 'year' if you use it the same way as 'day' in your example:

I was in a play for my school production. The next year I was acting on Broadway.

We will be getting married in June. The next month we'll spend on a luxury cruise as our honeymoon.

Without the 'the' in these sentences, they would be incorrect.

I hope that this answers it. 'The next day' refers to 'the day after the event happened', it does not refer to 'the day that is next'. This is what 'next year' and 'next month' refer to. So, day isn't any different from 'month' or 'year'!

'Next day' meaning 'the day that is next' isn't generally used at all. Tomorrow is.

1. Next year I'll be 21.
2. Next month I'll be 21.
3. Next day I'll be 21.
4. Tomorrow I'll be 21.

Sentence 1, 2, and 4 are correct. Sentences 3 and 4 are identical in meaning.

Talk about having a revelation!! It came to me as soon as I clicked 'post' on the previous message!

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I was in a play for my school production. The next year I was acting on Broadway.

What if you put a semicolon or a conjunction "and" here?
Is the article "the" still mandatory?

"I was in a play for my school production; (the) next year I was acting on Broadway."
"I was in a play for my school production and (the) next year I was acting on Broadway."

To my ears these seem OK without the article "the", am I wrong?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
What if you put a semicolon or a conjunction "and" here?
Is the article "the" still mandatory?

"I was in a play for my school production; (the) next year I was acting on Broadway."
"I was in a play for my school production and (the) next year I was acting on Broadway."

To my ears these seem OK without the article "the", am I wrong?

I would say it is wrong without the article. 'Next year' to me refers to the year that is next; and only next to the current year. 'The next year' to me refers to the year that is next to the year that was specified in a previous sentence.

Also, 'the next year', 'the next month', 'the next day' can be used to mean 'a year/month/day starting from this moment', as in:

The next year will be crucial for me, because it's my final year of university.
The next month is going to drag because I'm on holiday and have nothing to do.
The next day is filled with plans to rearrange the furniture.

You could replace each of these with a removal of the article (expect the last, because we said that 'next day' doesnt exist - only 'tomorrow'), but it would mean something different.

This doesn't mean that 'the next day' can't refer to 'tomorrow', just that it can also refer to any day that has ever and will ever exist. The same goes with month and year: 'next month' is only the month which comes next to this one, 'the next month' can be any month; year is the same.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I would say it is wrong without the article. 'Next year' to me refers to the year that is next; and only next to the current year. 'The next year' to me refers to the year that is next to the year that was specified in a previous sentence.

Also, 'the next year', 'the next month', 'the next day' can be used to mean 'a year/month/day starting from this moment', as in:

You could replace each of these with a removal of the article (expect the last, because we said that 'next day' doesnt exist - only 'tomorrow'), but it would mean something different.

This doesn't mean that 'the next day' can't refer to 'tomorrow', just that it can also refer to any day that has ever and will ever exist. The same goes with month and year: 'next month' is only the month which comes next to this one, 'the next month' can be any month; year is the same.

OK, I agree. Your point seems consistent.

However, changing a little bit the trend, I ask the following:
In colloquial everyday speaking do native speakers usually make these distinctions? I am talking specifically about the examples above.
If two friends are talking and one of them says: "Next year will be crucial for me, because it's my final year of university," do you think the second one will notice the lack of the article? And if so, would he or she understand it differently?

The same questions I ask regarding:
"I was in a play for my school production and [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] next year I was acting on Broadway."

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What do you have instead?

It is a difficult issue for them too. :) By that standard, you could have asked why people with blue eyes did not answer. There is no rhyme or reason to it. Do not read anything into it.

EDIT: krfedson looks like a native. (S)he answered you.

We do not have one like "the" in our language. That really seems unnecessary to us.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

What a long and complicated answer! I really appreciate your help though it somehow makes me dizzy (maybe not a proper word to use). Do you mainly mean that "next day" in fact equals "tomorrow", while "the next day" means the day after a certain one you've mentioned? Then do we usually say "next day" when we mean "tomorrow"?

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
What a long and complicated answer! I really appreciate your help though it somehow makes me dizzy (maybe not a proper word to use). Do you mainly mean that "next day" in fact equals "tomorrow", while "the next day" means the day after a certain one you've mentioned? Then do we usually say "next day" when we mean "tomorrow"?

Yes, that's correct. It seems to be that way to me.

In the first example you gave, When I was on the stage the next day, we can't possibly be dealing with 'the next day' meaning 'tomorrow' because of the 'was'; this event clearly happened in the past.

Your question was why does 'day' need 'the', but month and year don't. My answer now is that year an month need 'the' if they are used in this same way; to mean 'any year that followed the one previously specified', and not 'the next year from this one'. I hope the examples I gave show this:

We will be getting married in June. The next month we'll spend on a luxury cruise as our honeymoon.

As ymnisky said, in speech, people may drop these articles or say them so fast and unstressed that they seem non-existant, but they are necessary in writing. Saying just 'next year' and then 'I was' isn't possible; 'next year' can only be in the future. 'The next year' means 'the year that was next to (i.e. 'after') the year I was in a play for my school production'. :)

In the same way, 'the next day' means 'the day that was next to (after) the day specified previously'. 'Next day' doesn't exist in spoken/written language; we only use 'tomorrow'. However, if it did exist, it would mean 'the day next to this one', and like 'next month' and 'next year' it couldnt be used in past. The same way 'tomorrow' cannot be used in past tense.

If it's still not clear I'll try and help make it more clear.

roseriver1012

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Yes, that's correct. It seems to be that way to me.

In the first example you gave, When I was on the stage the next day, we can't possibly be dealing with 'the next day' meaning 'tomorrow' because of the 'was'; this event clearly happened in the past.

Your question was why does 'day' need 'the', but month and year don't. My answer now is that year an month need 'the' if they are used in this same way; to mean 'any year that followed the one previously specified', and not 'the next year from this one'. I hope the examples I gave show this:

As ymnisky said, in speech, people may drop these articles or say them so fast and unstressed that they seem non-existant, but they are necessary in writing. Saying just 'next year' and then 'I was' isn't possible; 'next year' can only be in the future. 'The next year' means 'the year that was next to (i.e. 'after') the year I was in a play for my school production'. :)

In the same way, 'the next day' means 'the day that was next to (after) the day specified previously'. 'Next day' doesn't exist in spoken/written language; we only use 'tomorrow'. However, if it did exist, it would mean 'the day next to this one', and like 'next month' and 'next year' it couldnt be used in past. The same way 'tomorrow' cannot be used in past tense.

If it's still not clear I'll try and help make it more clear.

It is clear to me this time! And I'm really thankful for your warm-hearted help!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.