Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Below is some text from the BBC with some words removed. See if you can guess what words could go in the gaps:

Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. ______ JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the ______ on Monday - and revealed Rowling had ______ work on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been ______ in more than 200 ______ and translated into 60 ______ from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth ______, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK ______.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher Bloomsbury ______ the series had "entered the ______ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented ______ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

Teachers and publishers acknowledge that the Potter books have been instrumental in turning more children on to reading.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here: Author, figures, begun, sold, countries, languages, book, bookstores?, that, record, number

:D

Latoof

Is it just guessing?
Should not there be any list of words to chose from?

:-?

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Just guessing...

Why not have a go? You don't have to guess the exact words, just make the text make sense with your chosen words.

;-)

Sstupid

I will try your exercise, although it's difficult for me even to make the text make sense.
I hope someone else follow me.

Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. _The_ JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the _news_ on Monday - and revealed Rowling had _begun_ work on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been _published_ in more than 200 _countries_ and translated into 60 _languages_ from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth _series_, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK _only_.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher Bloomsbury _that_ the series had "entered the _bestseller_ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented _scale_ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

Teachers and publishers acknowledge that the Potter books have been instrumental in turning more children on to reading.

I hope some are correct!!!
Harry Potter books are so popular in the world, but I haven't read any of them.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It was below when he started. ;-)

Latoof

Ok, here it goes.. I just made some guessing as you said..

Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. _The_ JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the _meeting_ on Monday - and revealed Rowling had _started__ work on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been _
published_ in more than 200 _copies_ and translated into 60 _languages_ from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth _
edition_, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK _shops_.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher
Bloomsbury __that__ the series had "entered the __bestseller__ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented _level_ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

Sstupid

Dear Red 5,
Please give us the exact words.
I would like to know what is wrong and what is orrect.

R.S.V.P.;-)

Chamroeun Phim

Dear read 5 ,
This is my first time to learn Engkish by online.
Your exercises are really difficult to me. Now i'm busy but i'll try to do your exercises latter. :

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The original text can be found here. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That doesn't mean the others are wrong- they could be different and right. :)

Last edited:

Sstupid

Oh Mom! I got only three correct out of eleven.
Are there any other answers which are all right or permissible?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm sure there are- I'll try to have a look at your answers, and Latoof's, tomorrow when I have some time. Should I forget, remind me by posting here, please. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Latoof said:
tdol, don't forget to check our answers PLease! :shock:

Okey Dokey. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. _The- this doesn't work because we don't use articles with names_ JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the _news (OK, but do we confirm news? It's OooK, but sounds a bit odd)_ on Monday - and revealed Rowling had _begun_ work on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been _published_ in more than 200 _countries_ and translated into 60 _languages_ from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth _series (No- it's the fifth book but there is only one series)_, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK _only (You had the right idea here, but I'm afraid it's not the correct word- 1/2 right)_.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher Bloomsbury _that (yes)_ the series had "entered the _bestseller (hmmm- I think you mean the bestselling list)_ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented _scale (A good attempt, but do we talk of a scale of sales- again, your idea is good, though)_ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

:)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Worldwide sales of the five Harry Potter books have reached the 250 million mark. _The (We don't use the definite article with names)_ JK Rowling's agent, Christopher Little, confirmed the _meeting (No- you could use something like 'fact')_ on Monday - and revealed Rowling had _started (yes)__ work on the sixth Potter adventure.

The series has been _
published_ in more than 200 _copies (No- do you mean editions?) and translated into 60 _languages_ from Hindi to Ancient Greek.

The fifth _
edition (No- an edition is a version of one book)_, The Order of the Phoenix, sold 1.78 million copies on its first day in the UK _shops (yes)_.

Mr Little issued a statement via Potter publisher
Bloomsbury __that__ the series had "entered the __bestseller (It would be bestselling/bestseller list)__ books yet again" with a "record-breaking, unprecedented _level (I think this works)_ of worldwide sales" of 250 million.

:)

Latoof

Thanks that increased the correct answers in my post ;-)

Thanks tdol. Can you give us another paragraph?

Status
Not open for further replies.