English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
Could you kindly let me know if it's possible to use these two terms interchangeably?
With the benefit of hindsight, I've realized I should have studied harder.
Looking back, I've realized I should've studied harder.
Thanks a million.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi
Could you kindly let me know if it's possible to use these two terms interchangeably?
With the benefit of hindsight, I've realized I should have studied harder.
Looking back, I've realized I should've studied harder.
Thanks a million.

Yes.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Thanks a lot. You know,previously I found the meaning in dictionary and it was written that to look back means "to think about something in the past" but for with the benefit/wisdom of hindsight, I found "understanding of a situation only after it has happened and it means you would have done things in a different way".
I have inferred from the meaning that with the benefit of hindsight has got a sense of regret as well ,but looking back just means thinking about the past (looking back on my childhood, I was too naughty). Could you please tell me if what I inferred is right or not?
Thanks a million.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have inferred from the meaning that with the benefit of hindsight [STRIKE]has got[/STRIKE] conveys a sense of regret as wellno space,spacebut looking back just means thinking about the past (looking back on my childhood, I was too naughty). Could you please tell me if what I inferred is right or not?
What you have inferred is generally true.

However, bill gave the correct response to your question:
The expressions are interchangeable in your two sentences with no significant difference in meaning, in my opinion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What you have inferred is generally true.

However, bill gave the correct response to your question:The expressions are interchangeable in your two sentences with no significant difference in meaning, in my opinion.

As usual, context is relevant and the particularly important part of 5jj's response (in my opinion) is highlighted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.