Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Australia
Hello everyone, i have some questions i would appreciate if you can help me.
I want start working as cashier in grocery store in Australia but my English is not good enough to communicate with costumers.
I am just looking for some general expression which can help me to do my job better.
1-what is the best way to ask English speaker customers if they like to fill the plastic bag full or not?
2-what is the best way to say to costumer if i fill the bag full, it will break.
3-How can we say that there is a hole in the plastic bag? oh! my plastic bag is ....
4-How would the native costumers say that: please fill the bag as much as possible.
sorry for these silly questions.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not sure about the obsession here with filling a bag right up. Shall I bag that? would probably be enough, though Australian speakers may be able to make more natural suggestions, but I expect someone doing the bagging to know how much a bag can take. If you put the bag into a second bag to make it stronger, we say double the bag.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone, I have some questions and I would appreciate it if you can help me.
I want to start working as a cashier in a grocery store in Australia but my English is not good enough to communicate with [strike]costumers[/strike] customers.
I am just looking for some general expressions which can help me to do my job better.

1 - What is the best way to ask English-speaking customers if they [strike]like[/strike] want me to fill the plastic bag full or not?
2 - What is the best way to [STRIKE]say[/STRIKE] to [STRIKE]costumer[/STRIKE] customer that if I fill the bag full, it will break.
3 - How can we say that there is a hole in the plastic bag? "Oh! My plastic bag is ..."
4 - How would the native [STRIKE]costumers[/STRIKE] customers say [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] "Please fill the bag as much as possible"?

[STRIKE]Sorry for these silly questions.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary.

Firstly, please look at the amendments I have made to your post. Remember these rules of written English:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.

Also look at your use of articles and note the correct spelling of "customers".

As far as your questions go:

1. Do you want me to fill the bag right up?
2. If I put too much in the bag, it might break/split.
3. You shouldn't point out to the customer that there is a hole. If you are packing the goods, just throw the bag away and get a new one.
4. Please put as much as you can in the bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.