Adverbial Phrase or Adjective Phrase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grammarian77

Member Type
Student or Learner
In the sentence The plane is near the other plane. (excuse the bad writing), how would near the other plane be functioning?

grammarian77

Member Type
Student or Learner
Yes, it is, but what type? Adverbial? Adjective? Please be as specific as possible.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

I would say it is an adverbial of place.

I can see why it has caused you confusion, however - the verb 'be' makes it seem like a complment rather than an adverbial, that is, describing 'the plane'.

It's best to see what someone with a better knowledge of grammar says, but I think its an adverbial phrase:

'Where is the plane?'
'The plane/It is near the other plane'

EDIT - I don't know if the term 'complement' is used in US terminology. I know that 'copula' isn't really used, and 'linking verb' is preferred, so perhaps there is another word for 'complement', which is closely linked to copular (linking) verbs.

Last edited:

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm pretty sure it can be looked at either way. You can think of it as of an adverbial phrase modifying the existential verb 'is' or you can consider it a subject complement (like "black" in "He is black."). In this particular case the ambiguity is even deeper than usually, because near can be either an adverb or an adjective (also a preposition).
Sentence Structure
Subject complement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm still not a teacher. And don't have much knowledge about grammar.

Last edited:

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don't know if the term 'complement' is used in US terminology. I know that 'copula' isn't really used, and 'linking verb' is preferred, so perhaps there is another word for 'complement', which is closely linked to copular (linking) verbs.
I don't think there is another word for it. If there was it would be easy to find I guess, and I don't see it anywhere. I've just taken a look at some texts about it to learn English point of view on grammar and it's complement everywhere I looked.

grammarian77

Member Type
Student or Learner
Is it possible that it is an adverbial compliment of place? Also would this sentence be considered inappropriate for formal use?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.