• Thread starter metrampaz
  • Start date
  • Views : 3,617
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

metrampaz

Hello,
I'm looking for an English or American native speaker who could answer some questions about English language that I will not find in a dictrionary.
In return, I can explain some Polish ;-)

Metrampaz
metrampaz@o2.pl

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Why won't you put them here so that everybody can benefit?

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Hello,
I'm looking for an English or American native speaker who could answer some questions about English language that I will not find in a dictrionary.
In return, I can explain some Polish ;-)

Metrampaz
metrampaz@o2.pl

It may not need to be a native speaker. After all, wasn't Joseph Conrad originally Polish? In fact, I believe he began to teach himself English at the age of 21. Not bad, considering he was one of the great masters of the English language.

And mmasny is no slouch , either. (That's a compliment.)

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
And mmasny is no slouch , either. (That's a compliment.)
Thank you very much, but I'm apparently to that good, as it's the first time for me to hear that 'no slouch' expression :)

metrampaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
>>Why won't you put them here so that everybody can benefit?>>

ok. That's very nice of you ;-)) My questions often concers 'shades' of meaning between two similar expressions. Usually it is from a song or an advertisement. That is why I didn't want to bother all of you. I asked about a native speaker as I thought these are really similar expressions that only pepole who are British or American can recognize and tell the difference.

1. What's the difference between:
- I love it
- I'm loving it
[Mc Donald's]

2. What's the difference between:
- it ends here
- it ends up here

Metrampaz

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I asked about a native speaker as I thought these are really similar expressions that only pepole who are British or American can recognize and tell the difference.

As far as I understand, you are suggesting a certain limit of understanding for non-native speakers of English. You think that (maybe not out loud), but subconsciously, non-native speakers, including you, will end up against a stone wall that can't be leaped over. So, why bother ourselves to perfect our English ,thinking that the limit you have drawn is totally imaginary and nobody can say where it really is. Some of them may find a certain level of English sufficient while some of them not. It entirely depends on the individuals themselves whether to stop or keep on moving forward, but I don't think that we can make such a statement for all.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
kfredson's example says it all. Non-natives can achieve perfection and that's the evidence for that.

metrampaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
>>you are suggesting a certain limit of understanding for non-native speakers of English>>

To some extend you are right. There is a saying that "poetry can be written only in your mother tounge". Because the is a certain limit for a non-native speaker that s/he cannot go further. I don't mean grammar, I don't mean vocabulary. What I mean is the "feeling" of a word or an expression.

>>why bother ourselves to perfect our English>>

Why? So as to reach one's maximum. It can be different to many people and we can even say that there are so many limits (maximums) as people on the Earth. Everybody has their limit. I think we learn a different language so as to move as close to that invisible border as possible.

Metrampaz

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
>>you are suggesting a certain limit of understanding for non-native speakers of English>>

To some extend you are right. There is a saying that "poetry can be written only in your mother tounge". Because the is a certain limit for a non-native speaker that s/he cannot go further. I don't mean grammar, I don't mean vocabulary. What I mean is the "feeling" of a word or an expression.

>>why bother ourselves to perfect our English>>

Why? So as to reach one's maximum. It can be different to many people and we can even say that there are so many limits (maximums) as people on the Earth. Everybody has their limit. I think we learn a different language so as to move as close to that invisible border as possible.

Metrampaz

I think it's worth it to discuss further with the contribution of other members.

metrampaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
>>I think it's worth it to discuss further with the contribution of other members.>>

Sure ;-) But maybe in a different thread ;-) I like discussions but today I'm here to find some answers to my questions about: "i love it" and "i'm loving it", etc.

Metrampaz

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As for I'm lovin' it, there's a good thread here already: I'm lovin' it - WordReference Forums
You'll like it I suppose.

Now, I can give you my lame explanation of the end/end up issue:
End means... well, you know what it means generally. Conclude, come to a finish, complete.
But it also means 'to finally arrive somewhere after some process or action'.
And it's usually used with 'up' in these cases.
This crisis is a nightmare. So many people end (up) on the street.
I can be wrong, I am not a teacher.

metrampaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you for your explanation, but..

>>"I can be wrong, I am not a teacher" >>

That's why I wanted a native speaker. S/he feels it ;-))

Good night and sweet dreams ;-)
Metrampaz

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Patience pays off as we say in Polish ;-)

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
>>Why won't you put them here so that everybody can benefit?>>

ok. That's very nice of you ;-)) My questions often concers 'shades' of meaning between two similar expressions. Usually it is from a song or an advertisement. That is why I didn't want to bother all of you. I asked about a native speaker as I thought these are really similar expressions that only pepole who are British or American can recognize and tell the difference.

1. What's the difference between:
- I love it
- I'm loving it
[Mc Donald's]

2. What's the difference between:
- it ends here
- it ends up here

Metrampaz

(Not a teacher)

If many of your questions will stem from lyrics/slogans, then you'll need to accept the answer of 'because that's the way the lyricist/marketing person wanted it'. Many song lyrics don't make any sense/have no meaning/are written to fit the rhyme/meter of the song. MArketing slogans might be intentionally different to catch people's attention.

'I'm lovin' it' was originally from a Justin Timberlake song.

Know you wan't to get down (Do you wanna get down)
You Do Deserve to get down (Do you wanna get down)
Youve Been workin hard all week (All Week)
Just Try'n to make ya money (Money)
Go Girl Now Shake ya booty (oooooo)
Im Lovin it, IM Lovin it

So, he's using the progressive form because he is currently loving the girl shaking her booty. No difference between 'I love it' and 'I'm loving it' at all. McDonald's probably just liked the 'ba ba ba ba ba... I'm lovin' it' tune.

'It ends here' can used to mean something ceases to happen at this point in time. Which contrasts with 'It ends up here' meaning 'it arrives here (place)'. For example:

'I've had enough of you cheating on me. Our marriage ends here.'
vs.
'This is hell. Everyone who is evil in their life ends up here.'

'It ends here' can also mean place, but it still means 'ceases to occur/exist/happen'. 'End up' means 'arrives'.

Status
Not open for further replies.