the Martian School-from his poem A Martian Sends a Postcard......

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
“The Movement,” as this new group came to be called, aimed once again for a neutral tone, a purity of diction, in which to render an unpretentious fidelity to experience. Larkin, its most notable exponent, explicitly rejected the imported modernism of Pound and Eliot in favor of a native tradition represented in this century by Hardy. That tradition now flourishes in the work of Tony Harrison and Seamus Heaney. Other of the younger poets, following in the example of Craig Raine and taking their name-the Martian School-from his poem A Martian Sends a Postcard Home once again look to the painters for their inspiration.

Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, The Twentieth Century (1890 to the Present)

Hello teachers,

In my opinion the blue part is not written with good grammar or high clarification. I can’t analyse what it says.
Would you please clarify it to me?

Many thanks in advance.

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
“The Movement,” as this new group came to be called, aimed once again for a neutral tone, a purity of diction, in which to render an unpretentious fidelity to experience. Larkin, its most notable exponent, explicitly rejected the imported modernism of Pound and Eliot in favor of a native tradition represented in this century by Hardy. That tradition now flourishes in the work of Tony Harrison and Seamus Heaney. Other of the younger poets, following in the example of Craig Raine and taking their name-the Martian School-from his poem A Martian Sends a Postcard Home once again look to the painters for their inspiration.

Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, The Twentieth Century (1890 to the Present)

Hello teachers,

In my opinion the blue part is not written with good grammar or high clarification. I can’t analyse what it says.
Would you please clarify it to me?

Many thanks in advance.

I think it sounds confusing to you because the end of the blue highlighted section - once again look to the painters for their inspiration - is referring to the beginning of the sentence, not any part that's highlighted in blue. It's the younger poets that look to painters for inspiration. When broken up it sounds more coherent:

Other of the younger poets follow the example of Craig Raine and look to painters for their inspiration. These younger poets take their name "The Martian School" from Craig Raine's poem A Martian Sends a Postcard Home.

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for answering but what about the word (look to)? Does it mean (look at) or (look for)?

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
Thanks for answering but what about the word (look to)? Does it mean (look at) or (look for)?

It means you find your (in this case, inspiration) from other people.
look to (people, things) for ....

"I always look to my father for advice."
"She can always look to her friends for support."
"Don't look to me for answers - I can't help you."
"When I don't know what to paint, I look to nature for inspiration."

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you. It was useful.

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
It means you find your (in this case, inspiration) from other people.
look to (people, things) for ....

"I always look to my father for advice."
"She can always look to her friends for support."
"Don't look to me for answers - I can't help you."
"When I don't know what to paint, I look to nature for inspiration."

Actually I should make an addendum here. Sometimes when you physically and literally look at things for whatever purpose (especially written materials), it can be more appropriate to use one of the other prepositions we normally use with "look."

"When coming up with my project idea, I looked in/through the newspaper for ideas." (that one instance of finding an idea)
"For my essay, I looked in/at the Qu'ran for specific quotes." (this specific instance when I wrote my essay)
"On spiritual matters, I look to the Qu'ran for guidance." (in general, I find guidance when reading the Qu'ran)

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I see....

Thank you.