Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
"They went away when the surface diggings gave out.What does "Gave out" means in this sentence?It, ceased or distributed?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Stopped being productive, i believe. I'm not sure what "surface diggings" are. But it sounds like a mine or something similar, so whatever they were looking for there was not found any longer.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"They went away when the surface diggings gave out.What does "Gave out" means in this sentence?It, ceased or distributed?
What is the context? Are you referring to the California Gold Rush?

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When the (gold, silver, or whatever) was no longer found on the surface (it was no longer easy to find - or, it gave out), they left. This happened quite often in the gold producing areas of California in the 19th Century. When the original miners left, companies with more sophisticated tools and techniques would come in and find the minerals that were below the surface.

musitwain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you a lot.I have got it.
When the (gold, silver, or whatever) was no longer found on the surface (it was no longer easy to find - or, it gave out), they left. This happened quite often in the gold producing areas of California in the 19th Century. When the original miners left, companies with more sophisticated tools and techniques would come in and find the minerals that were below the surface.

musitwain

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It is a short story by mark twain "californians tale".
What is the context? Are you referring to the California Gold Rush?

Status
Not open for further replies.